Need Help

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Need Help

Postby stevea » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:32 am

i'm a 57 year old male, and as i sit here now i can hardly sit. i have been to the md and an osteopath, have had the i-guess typical xray and mri with all the horrible words--severe, stenosis, arthritis, deterioration, all the L1s and L2s, etc. the osteoptath (the md wanted me to see a physiatrist) has given up after 4 tries and wants me to see a surgeon. i have lower back pain which radiates down to the thighs but it seems worse on the right. i look in the mirror and see a 97 year old man, tilted to the right and stooped, who can't seem to straighten out because it looks like the pelvis is twisted. i didn't think i would make it to work today, but here i am. i don't want to surrender to pain killers. the osteopath thinks the surgeon will want me to get cortisone injections. i think he thinks i'm even beyond surgery (don't get me wrong--i don't want that either!) Any advice on what to do next, from any similar sufferers, would be greatly appreciated!
stevea

Postby Bikegirl » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:44 pm

Hi Stevea

Have you ever seen a physiotherapist? If you decide to give it a try, aim for a physio with advanced manual therapy level, below that level won't do you any good (I have just learned that from my personal experience!) They are the one with the most knowledge on the pelvis.

I am not sure how they work with arthritis but it is worth making some calls to find out. And I am sure they are able to give you specific exercises to help!

I don't have the same back problem than you, but my new found physio is working magic on me. All the ostheopath I have seen helped but never could take me to the next level.

Good luck
Bikegirl

Postby stevea » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:35 am

Thanks, bikegirl!
stevea

Return to Lower Back Pain