Newbie with Back Pain

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Newbie with Back Pain

Postby yoadrienne » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:24 pm

:shock: I am a 40 year old woman with new (5 weeks) of back pain. MRI shows Herniated Disc. L5-S1
I work in an the OR (as Systems Analyst) and definitely do not want surgery. But the pain is definitely changing my quality of life. Everyone has advice...but I don't know what to do. I am avoiding Narcotics at all cost. Taking advil and occasional muscle relaxers. Can't make it through a day of work...HELP.
Will the rebuilding help me...can I start now or do I have to wait to heal...or will I heal.

(Note: Minor editing by Admin.)
yoadrienne

Hold On

Postby krd » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:19 am

I too have a bad back and a herniated disk. It took almost 3 months for the pain to leave me, but now I am feeling much better. I have started the streching exercises a few weeks back and feel much better. I am almost completely pain free and I am going to start on the strengthing exercises this week. Surgery is the last option. Talk to people who have had surgery and the success rate is not that good. Hang in there.

(Note: Minor editing by Admin.)
krd

Postby Dana » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:27 pm

I agree with krd. Surgery is definately the last resort. It makes much more sense to try doing the rebuilding exercises first and then, if that doesn't work, you can consider other options.

Hope you get to feeling better,
Dana
Dana

Another newbie with L4/L5 herniated disk

Postby SnoMan6174 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:59 pm

Hello. Nice website..and I will be buying the book soon. I am a 49 year old male who was just diagnosed (MRI) with a herniated disk after years of degenerative disk disease. To me it is not really "pain" so much as a tightening in my lower back. It feels like a lead pipe has replaced my once flexible and athletic back. I am a tennis player and snow skier here in Colorado and I love these sports. I have had to restrict my participation in both. I still ride my bike, but running is out and trips to the gym have dropped to almost nothing. I work at a desk all week and I (used?) to look forward to the weekends of tennis (summer) and skiing (winter). Also, how much does the right bed factor in? Anyone know about these "sleep number" beds? Thanks for any/all help.[/b]
SnoMan6174

Postby Karen » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:14 am

I know how you feel, IN PAIN... I have the same problem and DO NOT want surgery either...
thank goodness we found this website, it really is a comfort.

Along with the advice in the book, meditation can help.

The hardest thing for me is having patience through all of this.

But it helps to know we are not alone...

Best of Luck to ya, Karen S.
Karen

Return to Lower Back Pain