Question for Dean re: strengthening exercises

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Question for Dean re: strengthening exercises

Postby Peter B » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:56 pm

I have a question regarding the strengthening portion of the RYB program. According to the instructions, these exercises should be done once/day, while the stretching and mobilization exercises can be done as often as possible. I've been working hard in the gym over the past three weeks and have incorporated all of the strength exercises from the book. I believe doing them daily might be a bit too much, as the muscles have no recovery time. I realize they're body-weight type exercises, but I still think there's a need to rest the muscles between sessions. Does this sound reasonable?

By the way, for anyone who's entered the "advanced" stage of recovery and is looking for challenging exercises to add to the RYB program, I recommend you google Hindu Squats and Hindu Pushups. I've added them to my routine, and I feel they're excellent at hitting both the core and the arms and legs.
Peter B

Hi Peter

Postby yannick35 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:02 pm

Been doing strengh exercise for my pelvic and core for 4 months now.

I stopped doing what the PT gave me and started doing the advance exercises from RYB because they are a lot better.

They can be done daily i have been doing them for 2 weeks now each day and feel great.

Like my old kyokushin karate teacher told me the body will adapt.

Since its not bodybuilding like training where you train your muscles with weights and high intensity they can be done each day.

I dont really think hindu squats or push ups would be that good i did them and they are hard to do.

I would consider doing a full body workout instead with weight light at first.

What i can see right now is that many people doing the RYB have fall backs and they need to work to limit theses fall backs has much has possible.

I also dont feel anything can be added to RYB because its so complete and great.
yannick35

Re: Question for Dean re: strengthening exercises

Postby Flyin Pig » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:07 pm

Peter B wrote:By the way, for anyone who's entered the "advanced" stage of recovery and is looking for challenging exercises to add to the RYB program, I recommend you google Hindu Squats and Hindu Pushups. I've added them to my routine, and I feel they're excellent at hitting both the core and the arms and legs.

Hey Peter,
Thanks for the suggestions. I especially like the Hindu Push-ups. I feel a good stretch at the top and bottom. I like it!

FP
Flyin Pig

Postby Peter B » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Thanks FP. I agree...the push-ups are a nice combo of strength training/stretching. I do them fairly slowly and watch my breathing. I also like the squats...again, if you do them fairly slowly, they really work the core as you have to concentrate to avoid falling forward or backwards. Although they might appear to be fairly advanced exercises, I believe they can be incorporated into the RYB program. I'm a little leery of the final "Hindu" exercise (the bridge). The three together form what some consider a "golden triangle" of fitness and are supposed to work all parts of the body. I think I'll avoid the bridge until I'm fully healed however.

I do the strengthening exercises three times a week, and the stretching/mobility exercises several times a day. All I can say so far is it's done wonders for me. Everyone will heal/progress at different rates however, and perhaps for some, the strengthening exercises need to be done daily.
Peter B

Postby yannick35 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:25 pm

Peter B wrote:Thanks FP. I agree...the push-ups are a nice combo of strength training/stretching. I do them fairly slowly and watch my breathing. I also like the squats...again, if you do them fairly slowly, they really work the core as you have to concentrate to avoid falling forward or backwards. Although they might appear to be fairly advanced exercises, I believe they can be incorporated into the RYB program. I'm a little leery of the final "Hindu" exercise (the bridge). The three together form what some consider a "golden triangle" of fitness and are supposed to work all parts of the body. I think I'll avoid the bridge until I'm fully healed however.

I do the strengthening exercises three times a week, and the stretching/mobility exercises several times a day. All I can say so far is it's done wonders for me. Everyone will heal/progress at different rates however, and perhaps for some, the strengthening exercises need to be done daily.

Hindu squats are great also hindu push ups but i have upper back pain that is also what prevents me from doing my bas rutten MMA training cd, which is 29 minutes of intense boxing, sprawling, boxing, push ups, jumping knees and more.

Has for hindu squats i feel that my quads get really thigh and that causes back pain.

Matt Furrey was very high in theses exercises, also the bridge.

He said that he lost a lot of weight at one point doing only theses 3 exercises.
yannick35

Postby Peter B » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:35 pm

I've spoken with several personal trainers and physiotherapists about these exercises, and they all agree that they're an excellent way to condition the upper and lower body with your own body weight. I've been told that one of the best ways to relieve the stress on the lower back muscles is to develop strong gluteus muscles...apparently by doing so you shift a great deal of pressure off the lower back to the bigger, stronger muscles in your butt.
Peter B

Postby yannick35 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:11 pm

Peter B wrote:I've spoken with several personal trainers and physiotherapists about these exercises, and they all agree that they're an excellent way to condition the upper and lower body with your own body weight. I've been told that one of the best ways to relieve the stress on the lower back muscles is to develop strong gluteus muscles...apparently by doing so you shift a great deal of pressure off the lower back to the bigger, stronger muscles in your butt.

RYB has the superman exercise, and the side leg lifts that really work the butt area.

I really love this program
yannick35

Return to Lower Back Pain