Sciatica, any suggestions?

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Sciatica, any suggestions?

Postby Gaspode » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:36 am

I have been doing the RYB exercises for over 2 months now and have moved on to the advanced. I do not seem to be getting any relief from the leg pain and aches ( hamstrings, back of the knee and calf), my lower back on the right side is also very tight like a knotted fist if i do any walks for more than a few minutes. When i do the floor twist i can not straighten my right leg properly and there is a tightness in my right lower back. I still can not contemplate forward bends reaching just to my knees on a good day. Abdominal exercises sends shoting pains in my right thigh but cradually eases after a few grunts.
So my question to my fellow sufferers, have any exercises helped you in over coming this problem of tightness. Does anyone take tablets? I am reluctant to do so but on occassions have to pop the odd diclofenac and co-codamol. Any one been on these long term?

Pete
Gaspode

Postby kathy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:59 am

Hi

I had had sciatica for about 6 months, but touch wood it is so much better than it was thanks to RYB and also i used accupunture and swimming (2/3 times a week) or mainly floating in a warm pool and stretching as far as I could in both directions to place some distance between the disks and just time has helped heal it. Well it has worked for me- i did also take for 1 month high strength anti inflammatory tablets - not really what I wanted to do but I was in such pain. Anyway those are my recommendations to try they really have helped me.
kathy

Thanks

Postby Gaspode » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:39 am

Kathy

Thank you very much for your reply, i have recently bought an inversion table so waiting excitedly for its delivery. I am 13 months into my back problems now and find i am trying about every exercise under the sun. I have just signed up to losethebackpain and was delighted to have at last a method to actually assess what is wrong. I stopped up till 2:30am this morning completing the assessment and photos which i have emailed to their support team and i await feedback. From this i can assertain which muscle groups need working on and can better target the RYB exercises to help. Fingers crossed and thanks again for your reply.

Pete
Gaspode

Postby kathy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:51 am

Hi Pete,

Funnily enough I have been looking at getting an inversion table to just the other day.
Yes I can hardly believe how much pain I was in just even a few weeks ago I had to cancel a trip to England (I am in Australia) and lost lots of money and that is nothing compared to how I felt completely depressed - I really didnt think I would ever feel "normal" again.

It will get better honest, just do not aggravate it, no lifting, keep bending to a minimum and the stretching in the pool I think worked for me . Let me know how you go with the table I would be interested to hear.

Kathy
kathy

Crikey !

Postby Gaspode » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:02 am

Crikey, i thought i was getting told off by the webmaster then as i mentioned another site, didnt expect your reply as thought you were state side but good old Oz eh! Trust the sun is shinning for you as its the usual miserable day here so even though you lost money you wouldnt have liked the weather its been awful for oooo years !!!!!

I know that depressed feeling, I have 2 herniated discs and a whole host of doctors and consultants that simply dont care so that feeling of being alone and life is over is very much in my mind on a daily basis. BUT i have not given up and will keep looking for results.

I will definitely let you know about the table. As part of my assessment workbook with the other guys there is a pain level indication chart that you fill in weekly then monthly. I will make notes of how i progress and any signs of improvement with the table. I am hoping its here tomorrow so i can jump on it straight away, will just have to stop myself getting to enthusiastic other wise it will spin like a propellor !

Have a good evening and take care

Pete
Gaspode

Re: hello

Postby AmandaT » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:41 am

hi i'm new to the site and thought i'd say hi. i've had back problems for over three years and stumbled across this site whilst surfing the web for a miracle cure. I'd resigned myself to the fact that i would have to live with back problems. I had a microdisectomy then a laminectomy, neither which made any difference. I had numberous injections, physio, chiro, other therapist etc., but to no avail. I have now been left with no real back pain at all, just leg pain which eventually creeps into my back and pulls. I'm hoping to give the book a shot and see how things go. i had my nerves burned about three months ago which has deadened the pain somewhat which allows me to stay a little more mobile and exercise etc., So i started the exercise tonight. i'll see how i go i guess.

Its been nice to see comments from others who are still positiveeven though in pain.

Hello to all

Amanda.
AmandaT

Re: hello

Postby Gaspode » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:46 am

AmandaT wrote:hi i'm new to the site and thought i'd say hi. i've had back problems for over three years and stumbled across this site whilst surfing the web for a miracle cure. I'd resigned myself to the fact that i would have to live with back problems. I had a microdisectomy then a laminectomy, neither which made any difference. I had numberous injections, physio, chiro, other therapist etc., but to no avail. I have now been left with no real back pain at all, just leg pain which eventually creeps into my back and pulls. I'm hoping to give the book a shot and see how things go. i had my nerves burned about three months ago which has deadened the pain somewhat which allows me to stay a little more mobile and exercise etc., So i started the exercise tonight. i'll see how i go i guess.

Its been nice to see comments from others who are still positiveeven though in pain.

Hello to all

Amanda.

Amanda

I am so sorry to hear you story, it must be awful. I have just had a micro-discectomy having spent the last 3 months unable to stand, the pain was 24/7 and getting me very depressed, no one understands unless they have been through it. I tried the exercises religiously up to the point i couldn't stand, I was optomistic at first but i guess there are some cases when exercise alone will not help. I still have a little pain in my right leg and from talking to others this is not unusual for months after the Op. Your case sounds a lot more serious than mine. I will say that i am convinced that exercise is the key and once i get passed the 4 week mark from my Op i will be back doing the exercises for stretching and strengthening every day. Do not give up with the professionals, keep pushing them for answers but if i can add a little bias, stay away from chiro's they did nothing but hurt me more.

Give the exercises 3 months then re evaluate, if certain ones hurt back off and try different ones, we are all different you will need to do a bit of trial and error. There is a lot of good advice on here BUT make your own mind up.

Take care and i truly hope that you find some help with your pain

Pete
Gaspode

Postby Gaspode » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:50 am

kathy wrote:Hi Pete,

Funnily enough I have been looking at getting an inversion table to just the other day.
Yes I can hardly believe how much pain I was in just even a few weeks ago I had to cancel a trip to England (I am in Australia) and lost lots of money and that is nothing compared to how I felt completely depressed - I really didnt think I would ever feel "normal" again.

It will get better honest, just do not aggravate it, no lifting, keep bending to a minimum and the stretching in the pool I think worked for me . Let me know how you go with the table I would be interested to hear.

Kathy

Kathy, I owe you a reply. Sorry buty havent been on here for some time. I got my table tried it once and then went down hill rapidly such that i could not stand was in intense pain and finally opted for the operation. It may have been just coincidental but it scared me so much that i havent ben on it again,laughing. I am doing fine since the Op ( just over 2 weeks ago) and i will get back to exercises in another couple of weeks. Trust you are doing ok?

Pete
Gaspode

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain