Facet Joint Block

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Facet Joint Block

Postby JSM » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:53 am

Hello my name is James. I am 46 years old with multiply problem areas in my back, buldging dics, disc heriations L4, L5 and some spinal stenosis. I would like to rebuild my back with therapy and exercise but currently my pain will not allow me to do this. I am considering a treatment offered by a Pain managment (clinic) called Facet Joint Block and Epudualysis. This is where they inject medication to the problem areas. With a optimistic view of relief I then can start on exercise and therapy to help with my problem. I was wondering if anyone has had these procedures and offer any advice.....Thanks. James :?
JSM

Postby Paul » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:11 am

Hi James,

Have you tried the basic exercises in the book yet? If not, I would give them a try for a week or two before doing anything else. I think you'll be surprised by the results.

Sounds like you've had the pain for quite some time now and you're probably well past the initial healing stage (it has nothing to do with pain) so you could start in with the exercises right away despite the pain. Dean has a good series of articles on herniated disks that you should read:

The Truth About Herniated Disks

I have not heard anything positive and a great deal negative concerning epidural steroid injections (also know as nerve blocks). They are a last resort and not something to take lightly. In any event, you can always get the steroid injections later. They aren't going anywhere.

Natural is always better,
Paul
Paul

Postby Steven » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:10 pm

Hi James,

I agree with Paul, I would put off the injections. Jump in and try some of the exercises if you haven't already. Just go slow at first and experiment with what you can and can't do. As Dean says, some of the exercises are appropriate for "first aid" and so you can do them without fear that you are going to do any further damage. Just be sure to follow the directions and don't over do it.

Steven
Steven

Return to Lower Back Pain