Foot drop almost gone!

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Foot drop almost gone!

Postby Peter B » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:58 pm

One of the scariest aspects of my back injury was the lose of sensation/strength in my right foot. It was like it was paralyzed...I'd will it to move, but it would just sit there. I was told it was the result of injured nerves, and would heal very slowly (I was quoted 1 mm/day). I ended up posting a topic on the forum asking for others who had experienced foot drop to chime in with how long it took to heal. There wasn't much response, but I'm sure a lot of herniated disc sufferers have experienced a similar condition.

Well, I'm pleased to announce that after approximately 3 months of working hard at the RYB exercises, my foot is just about back to normal. I can now walk on my heels again (albeit, for very short distances). I still get a fair amount of tingling on the top of my foot and on my right shin, but I believe that is simply the sensation of the damaged nerves "waking up". I've gone so far as to hang a 5 lb weight from the front of my foot so that I can build up more strength.

I don't know if my healing rate is typical, but I just wanted to let others on the forum know that 1mm/day isn't written in stone. If that were the case, my foot would still be a limp noodle for at least another six months to a year.

Pete
Peter B

Postby TBone » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 am

That is great news Peter.

I have had a similar change in my right foot. It still tingles slightly if I stand in one place after about 10-15 seconds, but it is almost imperceptible.
When I first started RYB, the foot would feel like pins and needles if I sat for too long (5 minutes)...and the cobra exercise would make it go slightly numb.

Just like you, I believe that the sensations I feel are the nerve healing, although it is strange that standing activates it.

Anyway, I have had 2 mini-relapses since starting RYB. I was trying to push myself too hard with the advanced exercises and my soreness turned into white hot inflammation. Both times, however, 2 or 3 days of rest helped calm the area down. This thing has to be taken slow.

Take it easy,
TBone
TBone

Postby Peter B » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:27 pm

I suppose the foot tingling could be interpreted two ways: the nerve is either healing and therefore generating sensations where there was numbness before, or the nerve continues to be irritated, causing the pins and needles. I choose to believe the former is the case, as I have had a significant drop in pain and an even greater increase in strength over the past few months. For some reason, the tingling seems to be worse at night, but by the time I wake in the morning, it's pretty much gone. I look forward to the day I don't even notice it anymore.

Relapses can be very demoralizing if you let them...just remember that it took years to damage your back...it'll take a bit of time to repair it. I believe slow and steady progress is the key.
Peter B

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain