Two important things to remember when doing stretches

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Two important things to remember when doing stretches

Postby omniguy777 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:09 pm

I've been going to a physical therapist that specializes in the McKenzie Method, which is what RYB is sort of based on. She had me doing these same stretches. I improved but sciatica sensations kept coming back. However, I got the book 'Treat Your Own Back' by Robin McKenzie and discovered two important things that make a big difference as to whether the stretches work or not. 1st you need to hold the 'sag' for 1-2 seconds and 2nd you need to push yourself further and further on each stretch. RYB mentioned the sag, but I don't remember the pushing yourself further and further on each stretch. I found when I did this, the symptoms improved. You can also use 'overpressure' if you're not getting much improvement. Basically you take a beach towel, lay on the floor, put it across your waistline and have someone stand on it on either side of your hips while you perform the cobra or McKenzie stretch. This increases your stretch potential. I would recommend reading 'Treat Your Own Back' by Robin McKenzie for anyone suffering with sciatica or back pain. It also mentioned the shifted cobra position. Also work on improving posture. It's very important.
omniguy777

Postby chort » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:37 pm

Hi omniguy! RYB does say to build on the stretch (stretch further) after you are comfortable doing the basics. Thanks for the book recommendation! I will definitley be checking that out.
chort

Return to Lower Back Pain