Knee - Ups

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Knee - Ups

Postby chort » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:37 pm

Ok, I tried to post this about 5 hrs ago and I got an error so I'm sorry if this is a double post.

I started doing the basic exercises yesterday and everything is great except the Knee ups. What are they supposed to do? Am I not doing them right? Is there a different exercise that will work the same muscles?
chort

Re: Knee - Ups

Postby Flyin Pig » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:36 pm

chort wrote:...I started doing the basic exercises yesterday and everything is great except the Knee ups. What are they supposed to do? Am I not doing them right? Is there a different exercise that will work the same muscles?

Hey Chort,

I feel these tend to stretch the back part of my hip... almost into my butt muscle. I like it, and I do Knee-Ups daily at least. When I feel especially loose (and that's not every day), I add some twist to this stretch. Be careful, but try this after you've cycled thru the basic Knee-Up about 5 times...

... 1) Pull your right knee back to your chest, breathe deep and stretch. Your left leg is straight.
2) Place your left hand on the outer right knee, and your right arm straight out at 90 degrees from your body, palm down on the floor. Turn your head to the right, also.
3) With your left hand, gently pull your (still bent) right knee across your body and to the left. Sometimes I can get the knee to the floor, sometimes I can't. Pay attention to your body/back.
4) Hold this position while you breathe deep into your tummy; hold the breathe for 3 secs; slowly exhale; repeat the inhale/exhale once more.
5) Slowly return to the Knee-Up position; one more inhale/exhale while pulling the knee to your chest. (here's where I notice the butt stretch)
6) Gently return your right leg to the floor.

Do the same for the other side.

I save this for the end of my workouts, but only on the days I feel loose. This feels incredibly good to me. And after this series, I'll lay relaxed, legs straight, slightly parted, and relaxed. Arms out where it feels best, relaxed... for about 5 minutes...breathing full, but easy.

Pay serious attention to your body, though.
This was not something I could do when my injury was new.

Hope this helps,
Pig
Flyin Pig

Return to Lower Back Pain