Sciatica flare up with sitting

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Sciatica flare up with sitting

Postby omniguy777 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:34 am

My sciatica is fairly mild. It's more a nuisance than anything else. It's a burning sensation in right hip, buttock and groin. I always know when the sciatica is beginning to flare up because I get the groin sensation first. Well, anyway, I've been doing the basic stretches for about a month now with success. The sciatica became a pain in my lower back which continued to lessen with continuation of stretching. However, just when I think it's going away, it flares up again, especially after 5 days of sitting at work. On the weekend, it feels pretty good. I go to work and there is it again. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to deal with the sitting issue? I have gotten up and stretched during the day, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I've even bought a back cushion to try to correct my posture. If I could quit my job, I'm sure this sciatica would go away. The funny thing is I can do yard work with hardly no effect, but as soon as I sit, sit, sit, it comes back.
omniguy777

Postby TBone » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:09 am

What helps me is the decompression exercise outlined in the book...the one where you squat.
TBone

sciatica & leg pain

Postby Debbie » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:29 pm

Unfortunately, the good news is you've found that moving around is good for you; the bad news is sitting is the worse thing for "sciata". You might try walking a couple of miles every day for life & it's possible it could go away. Good Luck!! The key is re-building all the muscles surrounding the damaged area. :) :)
Debbie

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain