low back problems

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

low back problems

Postby rmterry » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:04 am

Hello,

My name is Rita. I am new to this forum and discovered it while searching for information on SIJ dysfunction and treatment. I am 44 y.o. and have had two injuries to my lower back. One in February 2007 and another in August of 2007 which has taken me out of work. I was diagnosed with lower lumbar sprain, right trochanteric bursitis, sciatica, and piriformis syndrome. I have had PT, prolo therapy, and SIJ blocks. I also have an old L5 - S1 bulging disc that the doctor has told me is very mild. The doctor I am seeing has told me that he has done all that he can do for me and that I have reached maximum medical improvement.

I am trying to figure out how to relieve my pain and what exercises would benefit my improving and regaining my life. My pain feels like it is in my butt and my right hip. I think the intense deep aching that I feel is related to my muscles spasms. When I sit, the pain increases in my hip and butt area. When I walk long distances, my hip and knee feels like they might give out. Sometimes my groin feels taught and stretching. When I stand, I have to stand awkwardly to reduce the increased spasm in my butt. So needless to say, I have poor posturing.

I just recently joined the YMCA that has a therapy pool and exercise room. I am continuing the exercises that I did at physical therapy and am using the therapy pool. I just started this Friday but I am hopeful this will help.

What can I do to help myself? My PT never showed me exercises to reduce spasms but I did get some exercises on pelvic stabilization exercises. I am trying to mimick what he did in therapy to help me out but I am not sure if I am doing the maneuvers correctly. I also have a big ball I use at home.

Can anyone make any recommendations. Thanks.

Rita
rmterry

Postby TBone » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:23 am

Welcome Rita,

I was diagnosed with an L5 S1 bulge. I also tried prolotherapy, physical therapy, spinal decompression, a nerve block, ect. I thought I would have to live with this forever. In fact, I had a well-respected doctor tell me just that. The thing is, I started to believe him and my pain went from a 2 to about a 7 overnight.

I stumbled onto this site after having one of those sleepless nights due to an anxiety attack (brought on by an onset of sciatica). I was actually checking up on a product called True Back. I was led to this site, thank the gods! As I read Dean's articles, I finally started to feel some hope.

I purchased the books and started the stretches on May 1 of this year. The one thing that I noticed abut the stretches and exercises is that they worked me in all kinds of directions. This is something my physical therapists never did. They only had me working in one direction (the cobra). My body responded very well to the program. It is now June 23 and I have played golf 3 times in the last 2 weeks!

I am a big believer in rebuilding my back. I also benefited greatly from the discussion on John Sarno. In a nutshell, Sarno believes that back pain is caused mostly by stress ( I am simplifying ). I purchased his book, and it really helped me get over the mental hurdles that plague back pain sufferers. I don't agree with everything he advocates, however, I know that his book was a key factor in my progress up until this point.

If you want my recommendation, it would be to pick up Dean's rebuilding book and start the program. I am so thankful that I did.

Good luck!
TBone
TBone

Return to Lower Back Pain