OK, I'm game to give it a shot

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Postby NancyR » Fri May 02, 2008 4:27 pm

Thanks for the support. What I find difficult is to still be careful once the pain goes away. Most time it's either there, or sub-threshhold, so I'm aware enough of it that I try to be careful. It's when the pain is not rearing it's ugly head that I forget to watch myself and do more than I should, or move wrong. Sort of out of sensation, out of mind.
NancyR

Postby Flyin Pig » Fri May 02, 2008 5:43 pm

NancyR wrote:Hi Scott -

Update??? My daughter is doing fine. How's your mom?

As for me, not so good. I'm really not a great "patient" because I have no patience. My back was feeling better, at least I thought it was. So, me in my brilliance, enjoyed the weather this weekend soooo much I did some gardening and LOTS of bending over and digging. :oops: Consequently, I'm just about back to square 1. Stupid, huh? I'm not good at sitting idle. Things need to get done, and I'm thick-headed and insist I can do them, and I do, then pay the consequences. :cry:

Well, back to the beginning. Laying flat on my stomach several times a day for a start.

I'm glad you're doing so much better. I can't even imagine running, although I swore off that after the army. Thanks for your support. I'll get through this if I can just behave myself.

Mom's not doin' too well...has her ok days and bad.
Spent the night in the dreaded HLCFH (Hospital Lounge Chair From Hell); got up and did some stretches whenever the nurse came in...I think that saved me.

Sorry to here you're still aching like you are. And I don't mean to bitch, but... Gardening??? Why?? TBone is right. Be patient. If you just give this a chance, most likely you'll be able to garden pain free, Nancy... next year.

Have you been back to see your Doc, yet? He/She may want you to rest some.
Flyin Pig

Postby NancyR » Fri May 02, 2008 9:44 pm

Yeah, I know. It was stupid of me. It's just that I love spring and watching the new growth and planting new plants. My favorite time of the year. I've had back pain for a couple of years now, I can't stop living my life. Between neck issues and back issues, it's always been something for years! When it feels better, I forget and overdo it, then I pay for it.

I've been doing the RYB exercises, and have been supplementing it with a back brace a few hours a day for the past few days. I'm just going to keep on doing the exercises. Question, though, exercise just to the pain or just into the pain? When do you stop? Most time, I don't feel it until some time after I've finished exercising. Of interest to me is the intense pain I get when I first lay flat on the floor for the cobra and the muscles in my back start to relax. The pain is just amazing, but it feels so much better on the other side of the relaxing phase. I'd love to lay there all day, if I only knew what to do with my head.
NancyR

Postby Flyin Pig » Sun May 04, 2008 4:34 pm

NancyR wrote:...I love spring and watching the new growth and planting new plants. My favorite time of the year. I've had back pain for a couple of years now, I can't stop living my life. Between neck issues and back issues, it's always been something for years! When it feels better, I forget and overdo it, then I pay for it.

I've been doing the RYB exercises, and have been supplementing it with a back brace a few hours a day for the past few days. I'm just going to keep on doing the exercises. Question, though, exercise just to the pain or just into the pain? When do you stop? Most time, I don't feel it until some time after I've finished exercising. Of interest to me is the intense pain I get when I first lay flat on the floor for the cobra and the muscles in my back start to relax. The pain is just amazing, but it feels so much better on the other side of the relaxing phase. I'd love to lay there all day, if I only knew what to do with my head.

First of all, you're not stupid for wanting to feel better as quickly as possible! From reading the other threads on this site, overdoing it is real common.

The Pain. With that said, Nancy, I don't remember the pain so much...and I'll bet I'm a PRIME canidate for reinjury because of it.

I'm a big baby when I'm in pain, just ask my wife. And I think that if you even THINK you should see a doctor about it, then you should have already gone to see one.

Other than that... how's your neck posture?? Have you tried any of the neck stretches? What's good about them is the fact that you CAN do them every 2 hours or so, because you can do many of them sitting or standing. The chin back stretch I do every time I get into the car.

Don't go crazy on this. Start small. A little does wonders.

I guess by now you know I like to write. sorry again for the book, Nanc.
S.
Flyin Pig

Postby NancyR » Sun May 04, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks, Scott. But my definition of stupid is doing something I know I shouldn't do, but doing it anyway. I've been to the docs. Several of them, in fact. The last referral was pain management, which as far as I'm concerned meant they gave up. I tried PT, for about 10 weeks, it didn't seem to help too much, then I tried the DRX 9000, that aggravated my neck and made my back feel worse, so that ended after 10 sessions. I'm not a fan of meds and certainly not needles, but I'm considering asking for muscle relaxers. My concern is then that I'll again do more than I should.

I like lying on the floor on my stomach and a very modified cobra, that feels better, so I'll stick with that for a while, I guess. I try the hip shrugs, and the forward bend, and some others. But since last weekend's stupidity, I'm being very careful and am going real slow. As for my neck, I do do some of the exercises. I don't expect miracles there, you can't move a plate too easily. My challenge is how to position my head when I'm on the floor. I can't turn it all the way to either side, so I try to prop my chin and my forehead up with my hands, or I try to put it to the side a little bit at a time, kind of exercising it. It's really rather annoying. If I do a wrong move there or do too much there, I get nerve pain down my arm. But, I try. I expect that if I keep working at it, maybe by next year I'll feel better.

I'm going to use the exercise ball for a chair at my desk. I like it. I think I may get one for the office. I've also been reading the siatica string. That has some good ideas.

I like to write as well... :wink:
NancyR

Postby Flyin Pig » Sun May 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Ok...Still, I disagree with your definition, Nancy. So here's mine...
Stupid is doing NOTHING and expecting SOMETHING to happen from it.

You, my dear, are the farthest away from doing nothing as you can be!

I think its ok to find your own boundries. My opinion? If something is painful in the least, don't do it. Do only those excersises that make you think aren't doing anything for you. I don't think you need to feel pain to know its working.

me
Flyin Pig

Postby NancyR » Tue May 06, 2008 6:23 am

Hi - I think my back is starting to feel better. I say think, because I know it's still there, but its lurking and waiting (just a hint of pain) more now. I still have to be very careful how I move though. I found I can lay comfortably on my stomach on the lounge chair on the deck, with my head at the foot of the chair, sort of hanging off but propped up with my hands under my chin. That solved the neck issues. AND, I can do a partial cobra (which is all of it I can do at this point) by putting my hands on the deck and pushing up. The great thing about this for me, is that if I use my arms to pull myself slightly toward the foot a little more, it produces a gentle stretch of my spine, sort of like a gentle traction. :D
NancyR

Previous

Return to Lower Back Pain