Disc problem in L4 & L5 joints. Please help!

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Disc problem in L4 & L5 joints. Please help!

Postby CricketCrazy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:03 pm

I have been suffering from an elongated disc between my L4 & L5 joints since last 3 years. I have tried physical therapy, chiropractic treatments and been on pain medications, all in vain.

I love playing cricket & golf a lot and cannot refrain myself to give up these activities. My pain gets aggravated when I play these sports.

I came to know about back decompression (DRX-9000) by watching an ad on TV. I went for my free consultation with my MRI results. They said that I qualified for treatment. Theoretically, their approach makes sense. They claim that there are not side affects. They are asking me to pay $4500 for 20 sessions.

I have seen the posts on this forum about back decompression. I am totally confused with the reviews and am not sure if I should try back decompression treatment.

1. If I decide to try, whats the right price?

2. Does back decompression really not have any side affects?

Please share your thoughts..

thx,
CricketCrazy

spinal decompression

Postby daisymae » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:45 pm

Hi,
I tried spinal decompression for a herniated disc 18 months ago. It did not help at all. The program the chiropractor offered - massage, e-stim, core strengthening was nice, but NO change in pain
daisymae
daisymae

Epidural????

Postby krd » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:34 pm

Hey Cricketcrazy

I have not posted on this site for a long time. It is not because of any problem with this site. On the contrary, this site was a "God Sent" for me. I have a large herniated disk at L4-L5. I had terrible sciatica in 2005 that lasted for 2 months, and again in 2006 that had me in bed for 8 full weeks with a pain that was raging at a level 10 - 24 hours a day.

I finally decided to have 2 guided fluoroscopy epidural injections 3 weeks apart. Subsequent to those, I had 8 weeks, 3 times a week of rehab. I continue to rehab on my own at home, primarily core exercises and do Pilates 2 nights a week. I have been virtually 100% pain free since November 2006.

I play golf at least 4 times a week and exercise at least 5 days a week. I would encourage you to get the epidurals or at least consider them. They help to break the pain cycle and allowed me to agressively seek PT. I feel stronger now than at almost any other time in my life and I will be 53 years old this August.

Remember, if you do the epidurals, stay with core exercises and exercising in general. You will not regret it. Good luck.

Ken
krd

Re: Epidural????

Postby CricketCrazy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:43 am

Thanks for sharing your experience krd. I have been averse to trying steroids and epidural injections as I was under the impression that they would only provide temporary relief.

I have decided to first try out Deans exercises as I have read only good things about them on this forum! I will give that a try for a couple of months and see if it makes a difference. If just doing the execises does not work out then I will consider your advice.

krd wrote:Hey Cricketcrazy

I have not posted on this site for a long time. It is not because of any problem with this site. On the contrary, this site was a "God Sent" for me. I have a large herniated disk at L4-L5. I had terrible sciatica in 2005 that lasted for 2 months, and again in 2006 that had me in bed for 8 full weeks with a pain that was raging at a level 10 - 24 hours a day.

I finally decided to have 2 guided fluoroscopy epidural injections 3 weeks apart. Subsequent to those, I had 8 weeks, 3 times a week of rehab. I continue to rehab on my own at home, primarily core exercises and do Pilates 2 nights a week. I have been virtually 100% pain free since November 2006.

I play golf at least 4 times a week and exercise at least 5 days a week. I would encourage you to get the epidurals or at least consider them. They help to break the pain cycle and allowed me to agressively seek PT. I feel stronger now than at almost any other time in my life and I will be 53 years old this August.

Remember, if you do the epidurals, stay with core exercises and exercising in general. You will not regret it. Good luck.

Ken
CricketCrazy

Return to Lower Back Pain