degenerative disc disease

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

degenerative disc disease

Postby daisymae » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:44 am

Hi,
I have been diagnosed with DDD of L4-L5 and very early DDD L5-S1. I am an active person who loves to run and workout. Are there any other folks out there with DDD who still run?
daisymae
daisymae

Postby TBone » Mon May 05, 2008 12:49 pm

I have DDD at L5 S1. I don't run, but before I re-injured my lower back, I was a competitive tennis player and avid golfer. For about a year now I have been caught in a vicious cycle of relapsing with my lower back. I believe it started as a simple strain in July of 2007 and now it is a bulging disc. I have been my own worst enemy in these past 9 months or so because I have not taken the time to let the injury heal. I was convinced I could compete even though I was nowhere near 75%!

Some of the posts on this site have really helped me to understand how to overcome this. I believe the biggest hurdle is simply accepting that I am injured. In the near future, I will not be trying to do anything other than the exercises from the book. I will rebuild no matter how long it takes.

DaisyMae, I think if you set your mind to rebuilding to 100% or better, and accept your current limitations, then there is no reason why you can't run again. If you need inspiration, just look at KDR and Randolph's posts. These guys came back from intractable pain and are now enjoying active lifestyles again.

Good luck and be patient!
TBone
TBone

DDD L4-L5

Postby daisymae » Mon May 05, 2008 5:32 pm

Thanks Tbone for the words of encouragment. I SO desperately want to return to what I was and I am trying to be patient
daisymae
daisymae

Return to Lower Back Pain