running, horse riding with an injured back?

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

running, horse riding with an injured back?

Postby daisymae » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi All,
I just recently found this web site. I am currently off work recovering from an L4-L5 hemilaminotomy and microdiscectomy. I have had trouble with my back for close to nine years. In January, I decided that I couldn't put up with it any longer and decided to see a surgeon. Today, I am 15 days post-op and have NO pain etc in my leg! It is very exciting.
Right now I have more time then usual and I am trying to increase my knowledge base. For a little background on me, I am an exercise nut and when I had, "the big one" I was running 30 miles a week, lifting weights and doing a lot of core exercises. I love to ride horses and bicycles. Throughout my back issues I have maintained a can do attitude which suffered a BIG blow from the neurosurgeon. I knew that I had trouble - why else would I go see him - he labeled me with all kinds of problems - degenerative disc disease of L4 - L5 and L5 - S1, spinal stenosis, disc herniation, and the radiologist said he noted spondylithesis at L4 and L5, but, the surgeon disagrees and says he doesn't see it. I was told the only way to fix it right was a two level fusion - I said NO!!! The surgeon agreed to treat the patient, not the test ant here I sit.

I said all that to say that I have been trying to find information about what I can do upon my return to activity. I know it will be awhile before I can return to full activity. Does anyone of you out there have back problems and ride horses and run. I saw the message about not running with spondylithesis, but, I am choosing to follow what the surgeon thinks - test over read and that it is not there.

Look forward to some stories
daisymae

Return to Lower Back Pain