OK, I'm game to give it a shot

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

OK, I'm game to give it a shot

Postby NancyR » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:13 am

Hi - I'm new here and am really very uncomfortable, a mess really. I'd like to take my life back and gain my health, 'cause it ain't coming back via any medical professional.

I still have to get the book, which I plan to do shortly. Long story short... I have a 12 year old fusion of C5-6-7. Aside from the lack of mobility, it hasn't been too bad. I do have new issues there though, causing pain down both arms again. (I know this is the lower back site... I'm getting to that). I'm thinking at least the pain in one of my arms is from trigger points.

Now, onto the lower back... Nearly two years ago, I decided to do myself a favor and start walking, I was really out of cardiovascular shape. Well, after a couple of months, my left lower back (right over that dimple spot) started hurting as I walked. As any stubborn person would do, I ignored it and kept on going. Well, it never really went away. Oh, it would come and go, but it didn't take much for it to come on. So about a year ago, I decided to go to the chiropractor, and then to the doctor; an MRI, PT, and DRX (don't ever do it!) and I'm worse than before, because now my lower back hurts to just sit, and all of those PT and DRX treatments aggravated the heck out of my lower back AND neck and consequently, I'm suffering with arm pain and back pain. :cry:

I have a back brace, which I think is probably just going to weaken everything and make it worse. Now, I want to take control back and 'heal myself'. There has to be a way. Hopefully, the book will enlighten me.

Thanks for letting me vent... Now, a quick and easy question... how do you deal with the pain? When exercising, do you go up to the pain level or into it? I don't imagine ignoring it is the way to go (it didn't work for me in the past). I suppose I'm just looking for some moral support and guidance on getting started here. :)
NancyR

Postby Flyin Pig » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:52 pm

Hi Nanc. I'm new here, too.

I never new there were so many different back aches/injuries out there. Only thing I can do is tell you what's worked for me, so far.

My lower back got real crooked while shoveling snow about 6 weeks ago...felt like I was struck by lightning. After I got up (laid there for a while), I noticed I couldn't walk without dragging my right foot. What really scared me is when I got my shirt off and looked in the mirror. It was nasty lookin.

Now I know mine is a new injury and all, but after ice, doctor, drugs, and more pain, the view in the mirror wasn't getting better.

A co-worker suggested that I do some stretching. He explained what I knew to be called 'Up Dog' in yoga speak. Do you Know what I mean?

Lay on your belly, and its as if you're goint to do a push-up, only keep your mid section on the ground.

Thing was that I couldn't quite get to that without extreme pain, best I could do was get up on my elbows. I did only that, several times a day for perhaps a minute or two at a time. I finally got to where I was very slightly and gently dragging my hips behind me 'armyman' style.

Four days of that, then, SNAP. It hurt. But I knew even before looking into the mirror that it was alot better. I was no longer dragging my foot.

That was a week ago, and I'm still quite sore. But I'm much straighter.

I actually found this websight earlier today researching that 'TrueBack' gizmo seen on tv. Well after rooting around this website I really liked what I was reading. I bought the three ebooks. I've only read the 'back' one so far and Dean has a ton of great excersises in there including 'UpDog' (he calls it Cobra).

So, I'm excited about getting my back back. 8) I feel like I'm on the right path!
I hope this helps. and I'm sorry for such a long note.

Scott
Flyin Pig

Postby NancyR » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:41 pm

Hi Flyin Pig,

Thanks for your advice. As a matter of fact, I started doing the cobra, well, what I could do of it. I couldn't even get up onto my elbows without pain, so I went as far as I could. I did notice that I got a little further with each successive attempt, and that the pain was less afterward. That makes me more hopeful. I don't quite know what to do with my head when I'm on the floor relaxing my back. My limited neck mobility makes it difficult for me to turn my head to the side like what is called for in the book. That just sets off my arm pain. I guess I'll figure something out.

I'm happy for you that you have straightened yourself out a bit. Hopefully the soreness will decrease soon. Are you still seeing any doctors, or did you ditch them all. I called and cancelled my appointments with the DRX and the chiropractors are calling me to come in and discuss the pain issues again. They want me to go for an MRI of my neck, and consider pain management injections. I'm thinking of trashing it all.

Let's give this approach a good shot together, and see where we get. Please keep in touch and let me know how you progress.

N.
NancyR

Postby Flyin Pig » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:51 pm

NancyR wrote:Hi Flyin Pig,

I started doing the cobra, well, what I could do of it. I couldn't even get up onto my elbows without pain, so I went as far as I could...

I don't quite know what to do with my head when I'm on the floor relaxing my back...

Are you still seeing any doctors, or did you ditch them all.

N.

Hi Nanc,

The way I began with 'Cobra' was literaly just lying on my fore-arms with my head in my open hands... that was my resting place. Then, since I coudn't really get up onto my elbows, I'd scooch (< is that even a word?) my fore-arms slowly down my body, just a bit at a time...just enough to feel like my hips were being dragged. So, this was all I had done for the first four days...

...Inhale as deep as I felt to be ok...
...then, as I slowly exhale, and scooch...
...stay there for a coulpe slow breaths resting with my nappy head in my open hands.

I'd actually only move a centimeter or so at a time, but I could feel by back slightly decompress.

Now, I was thinking it would be a good idea to go real slow with all this. Real slow.

On day four, the 'snap' was really a 'thhhhhhudd'... but it happened after the scooch when I put my head in my hands.

Did I happen to mention that I think going slow would be a good thing?? ok.
Be mindfully aware to what your body is telling you.

I hadn't gone back to the Doctor since the day of the injury, so I haven't a clue as to what might have happened, initially or presently. No x-ray, no MRI.

I quit taking the vicodin after day four but continued with muscle relaxers and Ibu 800's that I had been given.

I'm not sure I want to know what I'd done, Nancy. I just seems that once somebody tells you what they know about your injury, it becomes something solid or real for your mind to hang onto.

Igorance should never be bliss. (yet here I am)

I guess my thought is... that as long as I don't try to rush my newfound rehabilitation and I continue to see and feel even the slightest improvement, it doesn't much matter what name you give the injury.

Damn... I wrote another book. sorry.

Blue Skies,
Scott
Flyin Pig

Postby Flyin Pig » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:21 pm

Just a quick note Nancy,

I've just spent most of the afternoon scouring this website and I really like it. There are a boatload of very informative articles and resources! And alot of other opinions.

I feel enlightened. :wink:
S.
Flyin Pig

Postby NancyR » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi Scott -

If you see anything good in your perusal, direct me to it. I started the exercises, but I think I must have overdone it yesterday, because today my lower back and my arm were really bad. My biggest problem is quite often, the pain doesn't hit me until half an hour or more after I've done the damage. That happened a lot after PT too. Sometimes it hurts right away, other times I don't feel it until later, and then it's agony.

How are you feeling?

Nancy
NancyR

Postby Flyin Pig » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:15 pm

Jeez Nanc,

I feel like my excitement about my own rehab may have pushed you too far. My own injury certainly was not catastrophic and quite tame in comparison, Nancy. As it is with your situation today, and with the surgery you've already been through, I cannot fathom the pain you must constantly be in. For that, my heart is sad.

I would like to believe that there may be some comfort for you not too far down recovery road. I would really like to believe that YOU BELIEVE that there IS comfort for you down that road, Nancy.

I'd read 'Randolph's' thread (its the third thread from top); he took a long ride through hell and back to get to where he is today... and he did it, Nanc! But he took it real slow. You must also.

You two are the ones that inspired me. And others.

You must know that if it pains you to get into a certain position, you must not go there.

Find the most comfortable position for you. Start with some very mild movement from there. Even if its just slow deep breathing Nanc, that would be a begining.

Randolph, if you're still out there... Dean?? Please chime in. I certainly don't wan't to misdirect Nancy in any way.

Nanc, for what its (my opinion, that is) worth, this is nothing that you can't handle... please keep me (us) posted of your progress.

Humbley,
scott
Flyin Pig

Postby NancyR » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:15 am

Hi Scott -

I guess the pain isn't really too bad, or I prefer to think that it isn't. I can walk and walk upright, and I can sleep. Relatively speaking, I can imagine it a lot worse. Good days and bad days. I try to live as if it's not there, because it really ticks me off that it is. That attitude probably contributes to me doing more than I should and aggravating it even more. I'm glad you are doing so well with it. It makes me hopeful.

This week I've had a bit of set back. I spent one night in the hospital with my daughter and slept in one of those "reclining chairs". That certainly didn't help. With the confusion of the week, I haven't had much chance to do the exercises. I did do some though.

I'm hoping that this week will be better.

Nancy :(
NancyR

Postby Flyin Pig » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:51 pm

The dreaded hospital recliner...It reclines just enough to be uncomfortable in EVERY position...can't even lay on your side in one of those things!

I hope you and your daughter recover quickly, Nanc.

S.
Flyin Pig

Postby NancyR » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:58 pm

:lol: Isn't that the truth! I did succeed in laying on my side! Of course I was totally contorted on the seat and foot support portion. Is there any wonder why my back hurt afterward.

Thanks for your concern. My daughter seems much better and I am trying to catch up with my lack of sleep. I've been stretching out my back very gently now. So much as to just lay flat on my stomach on the floor. It feels quite good, once I get past the initial muscle rebellion. After a while, I just inch up a bit. This seems to be okay. So I think I'll stick with this for a little while, then work my way up on my arms more.

How're you doing? :)

Nanc
NancyR

Postby Flyin Pig » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:47 pm

I'm doing amazingly well, Nancy. I've recently read the other books, RYN & TPRM and am incorporating some of those stretches into my daily routine. I do some of the neck stretches while driving.

My mom has been in the hospital, too, and I've been trying to keep her moving using some of the techniques in the Pain Relief Manual. I see improvement with her, too! Although, she may see me as a bigger pain in her ass than the nurses. :roll:

Please keep me up to date with your and your daughter's recovery, Nanc. The coming warmer weather should do good things for us all!

Pig of the Sky =)
Flyin Pig

Progress

Postby NancyR » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:24 pm

Sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope she is feeling better. My daughter seems to be much better, but only time will tell if the problem resolves itself as the docs hope.

I am happy to report that since I have taken my exercises back to neophyte level, I can honestly say that my lower back does indeed feel better. :D I am just gonna keep at it.

Tonight, I'm going to begin reading the rebuild your neck book. Although, I get to see my MRI films tomorrow, the doc called me today to give me a quick summary of the findings... aside from the fused vertibrae already there (C5-6-7), there is a bulge at C4-5 and a herniation at C7-T1. I'm so thrilled I could scream. Not surprised be the C4-5, very surprised about C7-T1. Hopefully, the exercises will help here too. :wink:

Nance
NancyR

Postby Flyin Pig » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:05 pm

How about an update, Nancy?? How's your recovery going? How's your daughter?

I'm doing very well. I've packed on a few pounds, though. So, I jog a short distance in between my walks with no pain during or afterward! Still excersising/stretching the back 3 or 4 times a day, too.

I never did go back to my doctor to find out what the heck I'd done. I imagine its too late for that? don't know.

blue skies!
Scott
Flyin Pig

Postby NancyR » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi Scott -

Update??? My daughter is doing fine. How's your mom?

As for me, not so good. I'm really not a great "patient" because I have no patience. My back was feeling better, at least I thought it was. So, me in my brilliance, enjoyed the weather this weekend soooo much I did some gardening and LOTS of bending over and digging. :oops: Consequently, I'm just about back to square 1. Stupid, huh? I'm not good at sitting idle. Things need to get done, and I'm thick-headed and insist I can do them, and I do, then pay the consequences. :cry:

Well, back to the beginning. Laying flat on my stomach several times a day for a start.

I'm glad you're doing so much better. I can't even imagine running, although I swore off that after the army. Thanks for your support. I'll get through this if I can just behave myself.
NancyR

Postby TBone » Fri May 02, 2008 10:29 am

Nancy,

I am just like you are. I am so impatient and believe that I am still Superman! Here's the thing, and there is no way of getting around it...you must be patient. The only way you are going to change the current situation you are in is to accept it with open arms. You are hurt.

The good news is that once you accept this new way of thinking, you can begin to change your ways. This different way of thinking will also cure any anxiety that you may be experiencing.

Just be as patient as possible, keep doing the exercises at your own pace and remember that it will probably take many months to heal. You may think...I can't wait that long. But if you are patient, your chances of long term success and full recovery will dramatically increase...and that is an encouraging thought.

TBone
TBone

Next

Return to Lower Back Pain