Sacroiliac Joint Disfunction

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Sacroiliac Joint Disfunction

Postby nelle » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:39 pm

This is my first post. I'm a 51 y.o. woman who loves to hike. During the first week of January, with one mile left in a hike, I went lame. I had never experienced that type of pain before. It wasn't the worst pain I've ever had, but it was very debilitating. It went across my back into my hips and I could only walk in baby steps.
I subsequently learned it was most likely sacroiliac joint disfunction. I was told the episode would last perhaps 6 weeks. With some days better than others, it went on till last week. I started taking very easy hikes, but woke up Saturday very stiff, and today, in debilitating pain.
I've been to an orthopedist, physical therapy, yoga, chiropractors, and have been diligent in stretching, but no one can figure out why this "episode" continues, or how to combate it.
Hiking is my passion. I willingly will decrease the intensity, but I cannot give up the activity without a fight. My orthopedist wants me to do just that. And everyone else is baffled.
I badly want to hear from someone who has been through this who can give me a first-hand perspective -- and hope. I live in a beautiful area of the country, and it is torture knowing that I've missed a beautiful end of winter and beginning of spring, being sequestered due to a condition that I don't know how to properly cure. My goal is to hike until the end of my days. I need to know how to make that possible.
nelle

SI dysfunction

Postby Jackie » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:09 pm

Hi Nelle. that is terrible what has happened. I'm curious if your dr. has sent you for an xray to back up this diagnosis. I was having a lot of pain in the SI joint area however it turned out through an xray to be referred pain from the L4/L5 area. I posted not too long ago about success with acupuncture and added that I'm taking supplements. One of the supplements I'm taking is omega 3, not health food/grocery store bought but quality stuff from the acupuncturist. within a few days of taking it my joints loosened up a lot. I can send you the name of the product if you are interested. so sorry to hear of what has happened. I hope you can get some answers through your GP about recovery.
Jackie

Postby nelle » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:07 am

Thanks for replying Jackie. The only thing the x-rays showed were compression of L5/S1. Also, my orthopedist doesn't seem to "believe" in SI joint dysfunction. Nonetheless, my chiropractor and PT believe the SI joint is the culprit, and as they have actually put "hands on," I will go with their diagnosis. The only diagnosis I can get out of an MD is "lumbar pain."

At the moment, the condition is still going on and I'm desperate to find an aerobic activity (heavy sweating needed) that I can do. After 3 months of this, I've gained 5 pounds, both through lack of exercise and frustration eating.
nelle

hang in there

Postby Jackie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:23 pm

Hi Nelle. I really hope you are up and about, that there are exercises that will help. just be careful, last week I hurt my back again through doing too much exercise. It's amazing how delicate one becomes all of a sudden. If you are really stiff, if you don't mind me suggesting this, try taking omega 3, the seal oil, not fish oil. within two days of taking it my joints loosened right up. I can relate to the weight gain, how incredibly frustrating!!! take really good care of yourself, keep in touch!
Jackie
Jackie

Postby Margie » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:27 am

nelle wrote:Thanks for replying Jackie. The only thing the x-rays showed were compression of L5/S1. Also, my orthopedist doesn't seem to "believe" in SI joint dysfunction. Nonetheless, my chiropractor and PT believe the SI joint is the culprit, and as they have actually put "hands on," I will go with their diagnosis. The only diagnosis I can get out of an MD is "lumbar pain."

At the moment, the condition is still going on and I'm desperate to find an aerobic activity (heavy sweating needed) that I can do. After 3 months of this, I've gained 5 pounds, both through lack of exercise and frustration eating.

I've found the eliptical to be the least harmful aerobic exercise for my SI joint disfunction better than walking, swimming or cycling. My problem is I hate gyms, always been an outdoor girl. Still you can keep fit and work up a sweat.
Margie

Re: hang in there

Postby Flyin Pig » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:59 pm

Jackie wrote:...If you are really stiff, if you don't mind me suggesting this, try taking omega 3, the seal oil, not fish oil. within two days of taking it my joints loosened right up...
Jackie

Just wanted to add my $.02, Jackie, Nelle, Margie... the omega 3 really does work. Noticeably for me, especially, (before my back injury) when I was doing strength training, No sore muscles! =)

scott
Flyin Pig

Return to Lower Back Pain