Are inversion beds beneficial for spine problems??

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Are inversion beds beneficial for spine problems??

Postby Edward » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:54 pm

Hello people:
I have a fairly expensive inversion bed a friend has loaned to me, and I'm wondering if anyone with experience in using one of these contraptions can clue me in as to proper use and any effectiveness experienced. I have been dealing with herniated discs and degenerative disc disease in both lumbar and cervical spine areas, have tried everything you can think of, even got stoned on morphine and a hole whack of other meds, I'm getting desperate!!
Any advise would be appreciated.
THANKS
Edward

Re: Are inversion beds beneficial for spine problems??

Postby William » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:45 pm

They seem to get generally very good reviews on epinions and amazon. Curious what others think.
William

Postby benseattle » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:06 pm

I've read hundreds of reviews regarding Inversion Therapy and that's what promoted me to purchase a top-of-the-line model just more than a week ago. My back isn't brutal... just lots of consistent soreness that prevents me from playing golf, a big loss for me.

I'm sure everyone's differnent but after a week of three-times-a-day sesssions at a progressively steeper angle I've felt virtually nothing: that means no disernable improvement nor regression. I'm somewhat disapointed

Now, having said that, I've also told myself that this is THERAPY and unless I'm expecting an Instant Miracle, that it's unlikely my back will be much different in merely one week. Therefore, I'm simply going to continue the process. I did write to Teeter with my concerns and received a helpful replay that offers a few suggestions regarding the table setup that I will incorporate immediately. (WAY better than just a "keep at it.")

I'm still optimistic... the theory of reliving pressure on the disks makes sense. Before seeing this post I started my own thread about Inversion Tables, but received only two responses. Curious.
benseattle

Postby JEC » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:10 am

I had an inversion table, and from my experience it felt good to stretch my back and move around while upside down. It was far from any kind of cure, just another tool to use to improve back health and relieve back pain from my experience.

Recently I bought a forward inversion table, which I thought would work better by putting some slack on the psoas and hip flexors, allowing for a neutral pelvic tilt and better opening up of the lower back. It feels good while using it, but once I stand up my lordosis is worse. I suspect that this is due to disproportional stretching of everthing except for the psoas and hip flexors. Since everything is loose except for the hip flexors, the lordosis becomes more pronounced.
JEC

Return to Lower Back Pain