Bad back for a golfer -- will INVERSION THERAPY help?

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Bad back for a golfer -- will INVERSION THERAPY help?

Postby benseattle » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:08 pm

Two years ago I herniated a disk while doing squats with free weights. I've tried therapy and steriod injections and while I'm generally okay throughout the day (I still work out) the twisting motion of a golf swing becomes most uncomfortable. Not wanting to risk surgery, I've looked into the idea of Inversion Therapy. According to many, many testimonials I've seen, the notion of hanging upside down or even more common, at a slight angle, can do a great deal to relieve the pressure on disks, promote healing and strectching, etc.

I don't expect anything to be the "end-all, cure-all" but do board members here have any experience with inversion tables? Negatives.... benefits?

First post; many thanks.
benseattle

Inversion

Postby krd » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:24 am

Hi Benseattle

I too have a large herniated disk, L4-L5. In 2006 I was in bed for 8 straight weeks. I had 2 epidurals, 3 weeks apart. After that I saw a certified McKenzie PT for 8 weeks, 3 times a week. My back never felt better in my entire life. That was 15 months ago. I was playing golf 4 times a week, no problem.

I recently tweaked it, only mildly and went back for rehab for 4 more weeks just to "shore up my back". I feel great again, and I am playing golf again.

With regards to inversion, I had an inversion table and used it during the 2 + years that my back was at it's worst. Honestly, I have recently given this away to a friend to use. It did not help me, and to be honest, sometimes it may me feel more uncomfortable.

After going through all of the pain of sciatica, I am convinced that rebuilding your back is the only way to keep you strong. I can't believe how fast my back healed this time.... only 2 weeks. I have been on this site for over 2 years now, and it led me in the right direction. The exercises in Dean's book are invaluable. Also, if you find that you are not motivated, you can always seek out a PT. Make sure that they are McKenzie certified. Good luck with your rebuilding.

Ken
krd

Thanks!

Postby benseattle » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:58 pm

Ken, yours is perhaps the most useful post I've seen since I asked this qustion here and also on a number of Golf discussion board.

My Teeter table did arrrive this morning so I'm about to assemble it and begin this form of therapy. (The 30-day money-back guarantee certainily let me go ahead without fear of risk. I'm hoping for SOME improvement inside of four weeks.... otherwise it may go back.)

I've not heard of a McKenzie PT so I'll be looking into that. Haven't see the "rebuild your back" book, but I'm guessing that will be next.

Many thanks.
benseattle

Hope this helps

Postby krd » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:53 am

Hey benseattle

Just a piece of advice. When you first try the Teeter, it might be easier if you place a pillow under your head for a week or two, so as not to put too much extension on your lower back. That was all that I could do when my back was in extreme pain.

Also, I have recently started a pilates mat class with my wife. It concentrates on building the core muscles which support the spine. It is very difficult, but fun. I am in the best shape of my life, thanks to my back and this site. Dean has realized that exercise is the best medicine. Make a committment and stay with it. It will take some time, but it is so worth it.

I have incorporated the Total Gym since it has a glideboard. This helps to eliminate any major twisting or impact on the back when exercising. Good luck.

Ken
krd

Return to Lower Back Pain