Lower and mid back pain

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Lower and mid back pain

Postby Sittinghurts » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:49 pm

I have a herniated disc in my thoracic spine, T11 or 12, and a herniated disc in my lumbar spine L4 or 5.

My back started hurting almost 4 years ago after a hard fall. The disc in my lower back is in much worse shape than the one in my mid back, but the vast majority of my pain is in my mid back. Occasionally I will get a bout of left leg pain, but if I keep my weight down I find that the disc in my lower back gives me very little trouble.

I also have arthritis in some joints around the injured disc in my T-spine. I think that this arthritis is the cause of most of my pain. I base this on how much weather affects my pain level, as well as on how much Glucosamine/Chondrotin/MSM helps my pain.

I rely on pain meds, Hydrocodone 7.5/750, to lessen my pain. I usually take about 4 a day. I really don't want to get any kind of surgery, because the doctors want to operate on my lumbar disc, and this disc just doesn't seem to cause my mid back pain (I am quite aware when I irritate my lumbar disc, the pain is much different).

I have just recently started excercising again in an effort to lessen my pain. I currently walk 30 mins. every other day, and have started training with weights 5 days a week, I also stretch before every workout. As a teen I practically lived in a gym, so I am a very experienced weight lifter. I have been working out very light, and with perfect form. It has been almost a month now, and I feel a little better. For the first time since I have been hurt I actually experience some times where I am completely pain free (granted this is with pain meds in my system, but prior to the excercise routine no amount of pain meds have ever made me even close to pain free). I am hoping that the stronger my body gets the less pain I will experience.

Am I on the right track? Could I find myself if not completely pain free at least off of the meds?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Sittinghurts

Postby Dean » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:36 pm

Hi Sitting,

Are you on the right track?

In a word, no.

I've been a weightlifter myself for over 30 years... ten of which were interrupted by a bad back.

If weightlifting/bodybuilding exercises were the answer, I would not have had to write a 120-page book on how to rebuild your back or write all those articles on the main site about herniated discs, sciatica, and other subjects related to back pain.

This website could be trimmed down to one page with the message: just go to the gym and lift weights.

I'm trying to keep this brief because I've got to get back to work, so I hope it isn't coming across as flippant. I'm just trying to talk sense, gym rat to gym rat.

I now do my back and joint exercises for the sake of my overall health and as a warm-up before weightlifting (which I still do out of pure vanity).

I could totally drop the weightlifting, but I will never stop doing my back exercises.

Hope this makes sense,
Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Return to Lower Back Pain