Pain in the Butt

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Pain in the Butt

Postby kshum88 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:05 pm

Literally, this is what I am still getting after almost six months of exercises.

Currently, no more pain on the back and leg. Hamstring is much more flexible and stronger than before. However, the pain in the butt is so difficult to get rid of as I am now even trying other butt exercises not in Dean's book. I also took the advise from some people on the Internet to place a tennis ball under my butt for a few minutes a day and roll the tennis ball gently in the surronding area. It is still not getting any improvement. There is basically no pain when I am standing or walking, but dull pain comes right after I sit for maybe 15 minutes or so. I have an office job which require me to sit for at least from 8 to 5. I have been reminding myself to get up and walk around as often as possible.

I am wondering anyone has any other comments and/or experience of what I am going through right now? Am I experiencing TMS? I am pretty sure it is not a mental thing as I really feel the pain. I mean it has been six months and I am still experiencing pain in the butt and only in this area. I just can't figure out what else to do.

Any help/advises/comments will be much appreciated.

Kevin
kshum88

Postby Celeritas » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:00 am

Hi Kevin,

First of all, I doubt your pain is mental. I read Dr. Sarno's book a few years ago and I couldn't have disagreed with it more. One thing that I would not eliminate as a factor in your pain is stress. We all have it, and we all channel it somewhere.

Your symptoms and location of pain sound very similar to mine. Due to low back pain, I have had a problem sitting for years, but over the last 6 months the pain has progressed into my right buttock and leg. A recent MRI has turned up an L5-S1 disc bulge, which along with the pain has brought me to this website. My doctor said the disc bulge now may be pressing on the nerve. In an effort to self heal, I have been doing the limited RYB exercises and taking steroidal anti-inflamatories for a few weeks, which has resulted in a reduction pain in the leg, but the buttock pain remains.

One thought I had was that I must somehow still be aggravating the nerve, or the bulge, so that my problem is not fully allowed to heal. So to give myself a chance to heal, I have been making EVERY effort to change EVERY possible thing that could aggravate this area. I am working on the obvious items (chairs, sleeping positions, etc). One thing that I have not been able to eliminate is my car seat which is a real torture device for my low back and buttock, no matter what adjustments I try to make. I am in the process of trying to find a car with more comfortable seats.

I was hoping that if I continue to do these exercises, and also eliminate any possible prolonged positions that inflame the nerve, I could begin to feel some relief. Maybe a two week vacation with limited sitting would be helpful.

So my point is that I don't expect to have a chance to totally improve until I eliminate (or greatly reduce) all the factors that I know will aggravate the pain, including stress, my car seat, and a comfortable sitting position at work. So until I can improve all those factors I just need to spend more time standing/walking. This is hard to do with a job where I sit for 8-12 hours a day.

You have probably tried all this, but I thought I would mention it.

John
Celeritas

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain