DRX 9000 & Sciatica

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

DRX 9000 & Sciatica

Postby alicev » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:42 pm

I am new to all of this - My husband found this site when researching my latest resort for relief - the DRX 9000.

After reading many of the posts on this forum we are opting out of that AND regular chiro care.

NOW - my largest concern is that I have had sciatica for 7 mos. with maybe a 2 week period of relief (once during that time).

I have lost 20lbs, I have had physical therapy, I have had chiro. care, then opted to go with a D.O who works strictly with the muscular/skeletal.
I have been walking, doing pelvic floor exercises and situp (small crunches). I have had epidurals, pain meds, etc. I am still in pain.

I have had MRI's from head to toe (I also suffer from migraines). I have had a bone scan, bone density, complete physical, all organs scanned (with dye) etc. I am healthy. The ONLY thing that was odd was that my
S1 (or L6) vertebrae is transitional. I mean I have degeneration and bone spurs(L4 - L10) and mild stenosis(SP?) in neck(cervical). After reading your site - that seems to be normal!

What about transitional vertebrae? Especially ones that are twisted sideways and may be aggravating the nerve?

Any advice?
alicev

Postby Steven » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:27 am

Hi alicev,

As far as the transitianal vertabrae is concerned, your osteopath would be able to advise you about that. I seem to recall reading somewhere that they are normal. Some people have them and some people don't. I don't have one, so I didn't pay much attention.

Steven
Steven

Sciatica - transitional verterbra

Postby alicev » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:58 am

Thanks and I have heard the same about the Transitional Vertebra. Unfortunately there is also evidence that it can also be problematic. I am currently seeing a new doctor. I had a transforminal nerve block 2 days ago. This is after two not-so-successful epidurals (from another dr). I pray this works.

I will have another MRI in a couple weeks if this nerve block doesn't give the results expected. The pain I experience isn't pure sciatica as once believed. This is due to the numbness in the ankles??? Its all so confusing. I just want non-drug pain relief! BUT if it takes a medicine - I have finally resigned myself to taking it. YET - It is not a cure.

I stretch, exercise, cobra stretch, swim etc. It can really be a let down but the truth is I have really come along way. There was a time in January when I couldn't even get my kids off to school, or walk upthe stairs! Poor things - I wonder what they looked they looked like in school!! :> scary! I cried my first time to water aerobics but now I can actually swim laps and play with my 3 kids in the pool for a while. So even if I am in constant burning and uncomfortable pain, I am better than I was. So I thank God that my legs still work and I pray for continued relief.

Thanks for responding.
alicev

Postby Steven » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:23 am

I hope the nerve block does the trick.

Let us know what you find out from the new doc.

Steven
Steven

Postby randolph » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:46 am

Hi Alice

Hoping you can explain to us what a "transforminal nerve block" is. What the docs do to you (injection?radiation???). What they put in you? Theory behind the intervention? What they expect the medicine may do? Probability of good results? Those kind of things.

Numbness in the ankles is symptomic of what condition? (didn't seem to happen in sciatica ... with me anyway)

I share you concern for limiting use of drugs for pain relief ... and have endured a lot more pain than was probably necessary. But there are times when the "trade off" for using drugs is worth it ... when the risks associated with taking the drug are less than NOT taking the drug. For instance, if the pain is so persistent and bad that you can't sleep ... NSAIDs are often wonderful for getting some sleep, in spite of the internal bleeding that they may cause. Docs are well-schooled in the risk-benefit ratios associated with various meds and therapies ... so don't hesitate to ask your docs to discuss the risks and benefits of recommended meds and therapies. Nothing is 100% safe; our choices depend on how much risk we can live with. We make these kind of decisions all day long ... risking driving a car for the benefit of getting necessary stuff ... eating restaurant food for the benefit of the fun of eating out ... risking pregnancy/STDs to share orgasms ... risking infections swimming in a community pool for the fun and sun ... risking identity theft for the convenience of using a credit card ... gosh the list is endless!!

Great to read of your progress ... in spite of having to continue to be super-mom (hope somebody is picking up some of your duties - no way I could have recovered without my lovely wife and kids picking up some of my slack)!!

Randolph
randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain