SI Joint or L4-L5 disc herniation?

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

SI Joint or L4-L5 disc herniation?

Postby Frank D. » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:53 am

I was just found to have an L4-L5 disc herniation on an MRI. The orthopaedic doctor i've been seeing claims that this is what's causing me pain. I also see a chiro periodically and he claims that it comes from my SI joint (from high-impact activities like running) and not the disc as my pain is 'localized' - doesnt shoot down the leg, etc. The ortho doctor set me up with a PT for 4 weeks of sessions 3x wk. which I have just started. Some stretching exercises the PT has given has caused some pain.
Anyone have any advice on this? I am 36 and my wife and I are have a baby on the way in October and want to get back in shape for that!
Frank D.

Postby randolph » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:08 pm

Hi Frank

What kind of pain are you experiencing; when did it start; what pain are you experiencing now?

If you're still in the acute stages of your pain, probably not too surprising that some exercises/stretches that involve the sites of injury or referred pain would be ouchy. Usually, you don't want to push any stretch or exercise so far that it's more than mildly painful; healing is maximized by doing just enough ... but not so much as to re-injure yourself. Did the PT tell you why they pushed you so far as to cause pain (I'm assuming more than just mild pain)?

Both your chiro and ortho may be incorrect about what's causing your pain, even with Xrays and an MRI (see Dean's articles on this subject). Good thing to do to get more information and opinions ... but certainly you have nothing to lose by trying PT first.

Randolph
randolph

Return to Lower Back Pain