L4/L5 prolapse-will I ever be able to sit comfortably?

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

L4/L5 prolapse-will I ever be able to sit comfortably?

Postby Henry » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:59 am

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum but very glad I found it. I have a L4/L5 prolapse confirmed by MRI which first happened 2 months ago and I seemed to be almost over it when it happened again only much worse. 10/10 pain, pain like hot flames down right leg, muscle spasms, unable to sit or sleep etc the works-if you have been there you will understand. Went to physio and acupuncture definitely settled the acute sciatica down but not so sure it works with the residual sciatica. My big mistake was to get MRI scan-this looked bad with big prolapse and even physio started talking laminectomy and neurosurgeons etc. I felt so depressed -this was worse than the pains. However, I could still walk so have done 5 miles a day for last 2 weeks and it definitely helps. Also bought Dean's book and can do most exercises in first part -just get tingling in leg with full cobra if I hold it for too long. So after 2 months and a bad MRI with poor prognosis where am I now?

I still feel depressed and scared it will happen again. Lost confidence but feeling a bit better now. Have stopped using car unless essential, walking a lot is great. Only occasional painkiller mainly to help me sit a bit in evening to relax. No back pains but hip and knee stiff in morning until I have been walking, also burning numbness and tingling at front of shin up to knee but decreases with walking. Still doing exercises in RYB and they definitely seem to help also. BUT sitting is still very very uncomfortable. does anyone have comments on whether this gets better with time and what type of chair is best. What about memory foam for sitting on or for bed as a mattress?

Overall I think I am doing well and trying to do lifestyle changes as well. maybe some hope for others here ...its just the sitting that worries me because can't go to concerts, theatre or cinema anymore.

Best wishes to all and keen to hear your replies.

Henry (England)
Henry

Postby randolph » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:55 pm

Hi Henry

Yes, I understand your concern about ever being able to sit down comfortably again. I make my living driving a truck ... so not being able to sit down for several months during the initial months of my sciatica was quite a challenge. But I can assure you, yes, you'll probably be able to sit down with no concern about pain, once again. Quite simply, the doomsday predictions of your depression are wrong. Each time the depression tries to scare you, just remind yourself of the steady progress you're making as you rebuild your back.

For several months, I had to carry around a pillow to sit down on hard surfaces, and I sat (or laid down) in some pretty weird positions to minimize the pain ... but those days are long gone for me ... and will be for you, too, as you continue to do the exercises. The worst days of sciatica are the first days you have it.

Recent research indicates that there is no need to be in a hurry to have the operations your orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon are recommending. It used to be thought that the longer you waited to have the surgery, the less helpful the operations would be, and the greater the likelihood of permanent nerve damage. But, apparently, that's just not true. No need to stress about giving the RYB PT a try, first.

Randolph
randolph

Postby Henry » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:28 am

randolph wrote:Hi Henry

Yes, I understand your concern about ever being able to sit down comfortably again. I make my living driving a truck ... so not being able to sit down for several months during the initial months of my sciatica was quite a challenge. But I can assure you, yes, you'll probably be able to sit down with no concern about pain, once again. Quite simply, the doomsday predictions of your depression are wrong. Each time the depression tries to scare you, just remind yourself of the steady progress you're making as you rebuild your back.

For several months, I had to carry around a pillow to sit down on hard surfaces, and I sat (or laid down) in some pretty weird positions to minimize the pain ... but those days are long gone for me ... and will be for you, too, as you continue to do the exercises. The worst days of sciatica are the first days you have it.

Recent research indicates that there is no need to be in a hurry to have the operations your orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon are recommending. It used to be thought that the longer you waited to have the surgery, the less helpful the operations would be, and the greater the likelihood of permanent nerve damage. But, apparently, that's just not true. No need to stress about giving the RYB PT a try, first.

Randolph

Thanks Randolph. It does now seem to be gradually getting better as you say and I managed to sit for an hours train journey last week but sat on one of those hard wedge shaped foam rubber mats you use in the car to make you sit more upright. Hard surfaces are definitely better for me than very soft. Coming back I had to stand most of the way on the train because sitting was so uncomfortable. Still at least it's progress. I now find my main problem is the tingling and burning numbness in knee and shin I get after sitting or after a lot of bending over but at least the early morning stiffness has almost gone and I can sleep on the affected side for a while without needing crutches to stand afterwards as happened when I first did it just over 2 months ago. Walking and RYB are definitely very important for continuing progress and I am getting more optimistic-I am just terrified of going through it all again! For the rest of you out there going through the same stages I can honestly say it can get better but you do need to keep up exercising.

I will post another progress report later.

Best wishes to all fellow sufferers

Henry (England)
Henry

Postby randolph » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:26 am

Hi again Henry

In spite of the dire outcomes our negative emotions like depression predict for us, there's nothing like the success of others who have come thru to the other side of this sciatica journey recovered, to remind us that the pain will pass. Keep reminding yourself of your own successes, and coming here to read and re-read the "testimonies" of other successful rebuilders .... especially when the inner nay-sayers are running rampant thru your mind!

Amazing, the variety of symptoms that come under the heading of "sciatica". You feel better sitting on a hard surface, which would have absolutely killed me; your pain lessens with walking, mine increased. But the main point seems to be that whatever the brand of sciatica we have, the symptoms do seem to lessen with individually appropriate exercising/stretching.

Continued good luck with your efforts, Randolph
randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain