Maitlen spinal mobilization. Does it cause damage?

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Maitlen spinal mobilization. Does it cause damage?

Postby Charles » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:21 pm

In addition to the exercises in the Rebuilders Book I am also receiving treatment from a Physical Therapist including flexibility, stretching, strenghtening exercises and manual mobilization. I was told that PTs do not use the manipulations that Chiropractors employ which are considered to be potentially more dangerous but perform mobilizations that are supposed to be safer. Is this correct or are all forms of spinal manipulation/mobilization dangerous regardless of whether a Chiropractor or PT is providing the intervention?

BTW, I am not experiencing significant pain but leg weakness when walking.
Charles

Postby Ron » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:40 am

Hi Charles,

I don't think what your physical therapist is doing is dangerous. Dean talks about mobilization in his books and it is very helpful in my opinion. I think the only type of manipulation that could be considered dangerous is the aggressive cracking that some therapists use.

Ron
Ron

Postby randolph » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:49 pm

Hi Charles

I went to a few sites advertising Maitland Spinal Mobilization .... looks like chiropractic with technologically updated manipulating tools. Hard to tell from the website fluff though. What's the benefit behind paying somebody to press on your vertebrae with fancy beeping tools? Wouldn't a massage from your romantic partner be funner and cheaper? Sorry, I'm being a bit irreverrent ... but seriously, what's the difference between the Maitland folks and chiropractic?

Randolph
randolph

Return to Lower Back Pain