More thoughts on the mental aspects of back injury

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

More thoughts on the mental aspects of back injury

Postby Henry » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:17 am

Hello again. Sorry I haven't worked out how to reply to a post so am posting a new one on the same theme.Thanks Greg for replying to my last post. It's good to know there is someone out there. I think the symptoms depend on what part of your back is affected but I sympathize because if I had to choose I would rather be able to walk than sit. I do think you should keep doing as much walking as you can and it will improve - I can now sit longer than I could last week. A firm rubber pad and a hard chair are helpful. I have just been listening to the Sarno book on an audio CD read by the author and although I am pretty sure my sciatica is not in the mind I am in full agreement with a lot of what he says in the book. I did my back and got a prolapsed disc and severe sciatica but it got worse all over again (in my mind) once I got the MRI results. I thought I was doing OK then was told (by physio) you have a severe prolapse at L4/L5 and may need surgery and because its an awkward shape and position not only will you probably need surgery BUT you may need to have it done by a neurosurgeon rather than an orthopaedic surgeon because it could be a tricky procedure. After that it got a lot worse very quickly and I almost lost the will to live. But hey it is GETTING BETTER and after 2 months, yesterday was the BEST I HAVE HAD since it happened. OK still some shin tingles and a bit of numbness around the knee plus a bit of reduced strength in the leg and inability to flex hip as well as I did but Sarno says none of those symptoms are important and I am not going to let them take over my life. There is hope and being aware of the mental aspects plus doing the RYB exercises (and lots of walking if you can) are all essential ingredients to recovery.

It would be good to hear from others on these views. But as someone else commented once you get better you move on and probably forget about this forum.

Regards to all
Henry
Henry

Postby astro8 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:15 am

Hi Henry
I don't think that there is enough emphasis and feedback on the mental affects that sciatica or any back injury for that matter has on oneself.

I myself seem to have a very similar experience to yourself mentally, I was at an all time low and in despair, going down the drain and no amount of 'stiff upper lip' was getting me anywhere! I felt like a bag of broken bones from the waist down for a long time. They tried to put me in a wheelchair at the medical centre because I couldn't get back out of the place after the scans, but I thought once I get in that thing I'll never get out, that is the power this thing has over me. That was a few weeks back.

But, hey! after reading your post I got up this morning, said to myself (in a rather immature way I must add) "Stuff it! Henry is walking" took 2 panadol, showered and dressed and took off out the front door for the first time in nearly four months. Walked (hobbled) to the local barber got myself a haircut and walked back. Nearly killed me but next time will get easier and easier. I feel better tonight than I have in months. So you have helped me, MENTALLY.

I don't care if people say it's all gobbely gook, the mental aspect is to me is REAL. The physical damage is only half the problem we have to overcome.

I can sit for a long time in a chair now, but I sit like others here, (on the edge of the chair and the chair has to be high). If I sit back into the chair it feels comfortable, but then I can't get back up. The pain is excruciating if I try and get back out of the chair. Some people here on the forum can run, but have other problems. I find it puzzling how they manage when I can't walk and you can't sit, someone else can't bend forward, some others (like me) can't bend backwards. We sound like a disfunctional lot don't we? ha!

Anyway Henry, good to hear from you and I hope others can join in with their experience, information is power.

Greg
astro8

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:11 am

Hi Henry and Greg

Yes, as you're discovering, there's more to rebuilding your back than just doing exercises ... there's a mental rebuilding that needs to happen, too, which participating in this forum really helps with. It's really very therapeutic during the early stages of sciatica to read that sciatica is not a death-sentence, as my negative emotions incorrectly predicted.

It's been two years since my sciatica exploded on the scene ... and now the horrible pain is a distant memory and I'm living and working without any unnecessary concern for my back ... and without any aggressive medical intervention like surgery. Which is of course a VERY good thing (to return to doing all the regular things of life we take for granted before sciatica AND not have a huge medical bill to pay down). Unfortunately, that leaves little time for coming here and posting. Add to that, being home only every other weekend, and not having a laptop in the truck I drive all over the US to adequately keep up with the posting here .... and I really regret not having the opportunity to post as frequently as I could when I was "stuck" at home, unable to work, recovering from my sciatica. Which prompts the question: does anyone know if WIRELESS internet access with a laptop is widely available around the US? :?: :?:
I'd really like to keep up with the postings here and occassionally have time while I'm out on the road and I'm wondering if spending a few hundred bucks for a laptop would be wise. Do I have to be in a WiFi area (few and far between) to get the internet, or is internet reception similar to XM radio's wide availability?

Thanks, Randolph

Postby Admin » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:28 am

Anonymous wrote:Hi Henry and Greg

Yes, as you're discovering, there's more to rebuilding your back than just doing exercises ... there's a mental rebuilding that needs to happen, too, which participating in this forum really helps with. It's really very therapeutic during the early stages of sciatica to read that sciatica is not a death-sentence, as my negative emotions incorrectly predicted.

It's been two years since my sciatica exploded on the scene ... and now the horrible pain is a distant memory and I'm living and working without any unnecessary concern for my back ... and without any aggressive medical intervention like surgery. Which is of course a VERY good thing (to return to doing all the regular things of life we take for granted before sciatica AND not have a huge medical bill to pay down). Unfortunately, that leaves little time for coming here and posting. Add to that, being home only every other weekend, and not having a laptop in the truck I drive all over the US to adequately keep up with the posting here .... and I really regret not having the opportunity to post as frequently as I could when I was "stuck" at home, unable to work, recovering from my sciatica. Which prompts the question: does anyone know if WIRELESS internet access with a laptop is widely available around the US? :?: :?:
I'd really like to keep up with the postings here and occassionally have time while I'm out on the road and I'm wondering if spending a few hundred bucks for a laptop would be wise. Do I have to be in a WiFi area (few and far between) to get the internet, or is internet reception similar to XM radio's wide availability?

Thanks, Randolph

I posted a thread on Randolph's Wireless Internet Question in the General Chit Chat section if anyone knows about this sort of thing and would like to bring us up to speed.

Dean
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain