Progress report L4/L5 prolapse -the mental side is worse?

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Progress report L4/L5 prolapse -the mental side is worse?

Postby Henry » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:45 pm

Hello again fellow sciatic pain sufferers. I didn't get any replies to my query about when I will be able to sit comfortably again but I found enough out by scrolling through the messages which confirms how useful this forum is if only for reading other peoples experiences. It is now 6 weeks since I really did the business with my back and actually felt it go pop. It didn't hurt immediately but the next day I was crawling about crying with pain and burning flames and boiling water feelings down my leg. As mentioned elsewhere acupuncture by the physio really helped calm it all down at that point. I decided to do lots of walking because I couldn't sit or watch TV or anything and have been doing 5 or 6 miles a day for last 3 weeks (I usually only walk about a mile a week !). I have stopped using the car unless essential (I had been driving 600 miles a week for 15 years-as Dean says that is what did for my back not bending over to lift a heavy weight. I started with RYB 3 weeks ago and have been doing all the exercises in part 1 3 or 4 times a day. At first I couldn't get off the ground with the cobra but now can do it quite easily but still get a bit of tingling down the leg. My other symptoms are stiffness in the morning which more or less goes off with walking. I also get a band of numbness or tingling around and just below front of knee and occasionally numbness in the toes. Some of the time I feel completely OK with no or very little pain BUT there is always this deep down inside mental feeling of being depressed, shocked and worried about going through it all again. I think the mental side is almost worse than the physical pain. I have lost a lot of my zest and enthusiasm and reading other posts I think others have experienced these negative mental feelings as well. Having a bad MRI scan picture with talk of surgery didn't help but I think I am doing OK overall and certainly pain is much less. I still can't sleep on the affected side and sitting for long is uncomfortable but perhaps getting a bit better. I managed a train ride of 1 1/2 hours yesterday but had to stand all the way back once the pain killer had worn off. Still its progress. If anyone is interested I will post a progress report in a few weeks. Talking to others who have been there I guess we are talking about 6 months or so to get somewhere back to normal but a lifestyle change is essential to stop it recurring. I just can't imagine how I would ever get through this again. I think I would just pay for surgery to put me out of my pain whatever the consequences.

Regards to all
Henry (England)
Henry

Postby astro8 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:12 am

Hi Henry,

interesting to read your experience. What I can't fathom is the way it affects everyone differently. Going into the fourth month now, I can't walk more than a hundred paces. I walk with my hands on my knees after that. I can't seem to bend backwards at all without a lot of pain.

Yes, I know of the boiling water, fire and 'snakes' in my leg, felt like cutting the thing off at one point! I too believe that the mental trauma of this is just as bad as the physical. I think it may take me until Christmas to feel at all normal.

I can sit for long periods (albeit in pain) but then I can't get up. Same thing if I lay down. I'd love to be able to walk (as you would be able to sit).

I'm doing my RYB exercises and am slowly improving, (at least I'm not going backwards!)

Everyone here seems to have a different story but yet they're similar.

One thing we all get out of this is that we'll NEVER neglect our backs again, I have developed a subconscious warning system in my brain which seems to question every motion I make. Even when I go to reach for a cup of tea or coffee alarm bells go off in my mind.."are you going to over reach and hurt yourself?" says the little voice.

Anyway, Henry good to read your post...I think if we all posted more about our progress it would lift our spirits when we see improvement in others, however small it may be.

Greg
(a 'commoner' from one of the 'colonies'..Australia!)
astro8

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:58 pm

astro8 wrote:Hi Henry,

interesting to read your experience. What I can't fathom is the way it affects everyone differently. Going into the fourth month now, I can't walk more than a hundred paces. I walk with my hands on my knees after that. I can't seem to bend backwards at all without a lot of pain.

Yes, I know of the boiling water, fire and 'snakes' in my leg, felt like cutting the thing off at one point! I too believe that the mental trauma of this is just as bad as the physical. I think it may take me until Christmas to feel at all normal.

I can sit for long periods (albeit in pain) but then I can't get up. Same thing if I lay down. I'd love to be able to walk (as you would be able to sit).

I'm doing my RYB exercises and am slowly improving, (at least I'm not going backwards!)

Everyone here seems to have a different story but yet they're similar.

One thing we all get out of this is that we'll NEVER neglect our backs again, I have developed a subconscious warning system in my brain which seems to question every motion I make. Even when I go to reach for a cup of tea or coffee alarm bells go off in my mind.."are you going to over reach and hurt yourself?" says the little voice.

Anyway, Henry good to read your post...I think if we all posted more about our progress it would lift our spirits when we see improvement in others, however small it may be.

Greg
(a 'commoner' from one of the 'colonies'..Australia!)

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain