L5-S1 pain

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

L5-S1 pain

Postby iconkim » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:45 pm

Dear Fellow Pain Sufferer's,

I am new here. I bent over at work on March 13 and immediately had lower back pain which ranges from 4 to 10. If I lie on the couch I can stay at 4, walking 60 steps can put to a 10. PT is not helpful, three injecitons have not been helpful. Of course the surgeon wants to do surgery. Workman's comp said the literature indicates that my back could not have incurred this injury from simply bending over. I have lost a lot of income thus far as it is under review by WC.

I am looking for advice from other pain sufferers. Have you used the techniques in Dean's Back book? What else could I try? Thank you so much.

Kim
iconkim

Postby randolph » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:18 am

Hi Kim

I guess by now you've read some of Dean's articles and books, so you know that bending over at work wasn't the entire cause of the onset of your back pain, that it was the last straw that finally "broke your back", so to speak. That it took years of abuse and misuse of your back to culminate in the simple act of bending over causing you such great pain.

Surgery like microdiscectomy is certainly popular, and it is a quick fix that gets most people up and working again in a few weeks ... and with some lifestyle changes including exercising/stretching regularly, can be the start of a long term recovery from back pain.

But if you're looking for a long-term solution that you can do without hassling with the insurance companies, try the RYB program Dean outlines in his books. Truly cheap and effective. My back is rebuilt without surgery, two years after the onset of my back problems because of RYB, and other resources discussed on this site.

Randolph
randolph

L5-S1 pain

Postby iconkim » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:57 pm

Thanks for responding Randolph, I have not ordered the book yet. So you are saying you have been doing the excercises and you are getting relief. Was surgery mentioned but now you don't need it? Kim
iconkim

Postby kshum88 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:25 am

Randolph,

It took you two years, huh? I started in early January and it has almost been six months. I recently had a relapse and now is back to square one.

Kim,

I am only recommend that you start with Dean's basic exercises, but do not push it. Otherwise, you will most likely get a relapse.

Kevin
kshum88

Postby randolph » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:52 am

Yes, Kim, in Sept '05, my lower back exploded in pain while doing some weighted leg squats (my particular "straw-that-broke-the-camel's-back"), and then a few weeks later a misguided chiropractor completed the carnage .... so my sciatica was VERY debilitating AND VERRRRRY painful for several months. MRI revealed herniated disc L5-S1, and osteopathic surgeon recommended microdiscectomy. I opted for doing the RYB program instead (books by Drs Stuart McGill and John Sarno were also helpful). And in spite of my adult ADHD at age 54, I'm very disciplined to do many of the RYB recommended exercises and stretches daily (cobra's my favorite), in addition to keeping my weight down and staying in good shape thru running and sensible diet.

I also relapsed (about 8 months after the initial injury), so I know how much "fun" going back to square one is. I was so depressed and desperate after that relapse, I came just a few hours away from getting that microdiscectomy .... but gave the RYB program another try (after getting lots of encouragement here to do so) ... and successfully bounced back, in less time than after the initial injury. It's different for everybody, but hopefully, the same or better will happen for you, as you work with RYB.

Randolph
randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain