swollen foot

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

swollen foot

Postby Milt Bachman » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:21 pm

I was diagnosed with an L 5 herniated disc about a year ago. The doctor said that my swollen foot ( about 10% larger) was probably caused by nerve damage. I also have some numbness and pins and needles tingling most of the time (in my right foot). I am a 60 year old male that has been very active most of my life ( Golf, Tennis, jogging, soccer referee etc.)

Since my injury I have done lots of strengthen and stretching ( I recently read the RYB book and am currently doing the advance stretches etc. I also swim 2-3 days a week for about an hour and try to walk 4 days per week ( ½ hour).

I am able to do almost everything I use to do except run and I quit tennis because I thought the hard courts would be bad for my back. Oh, the doctor said I have some arthritis in my back ( very common) and I was shot in the pelvic area ( USMC—Viet Nam 1966) the doctors said a lot of the cartilage that holds the bottom of my pelvic together was removed. They advised me to maintain upper leg strength for support. By the way, I have had children and even though I was rated 40% disabled it did not hurt or stop me from the above activities. (Bullet was very close to spine)

Main Questions: Page 24 ( RYB) says to contact doctor about numbness below the knee; I do have pins and needles and some numbness, but very little pain. Does this prevent me from doing the entire RYB program? Does anyone else have a swollen foot? I have tried the shifted cobra for two weeks and I still have no pain in my lower back and the pins and needles do not want to leave.

Thanks for your help.
Milt Bachman

Postby Seann » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Milt-
I'll be short. Go get this thing checked out. I had someone very dear to me go to her Dr for the same symptoms. He diagnosed it as a spider bite. Turns out the swelling was caused by something much worse, which was only found when it was too late. Respiratory and circulatory diseases can exhibit those signs/symptoms.

Not trying to scare you, but until you get a solid answer from someone explaining why your leg is swollen and tingly I wouldn't let his go. You certianly don't want to run the risk of doing more harmthan good to yourself.
Seann

Postby Ron » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:33 pm

I agree with Seann. I've never heard of swelling as a symptom of sciatica. It has to be something else.

Ron
Ron

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:01 pm

Milt I have a swollen foot and I have heriated disc at lumber two and the cerival and one on the thoriac. I have some major problems all over my back . Help!!!!!

Postby randolph » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:37 am

Hi Milt

I agree with Ron and Seann that you want to eliminate weird causes like spider bite (or less weird causes like edema from diabetes, e.g.) for the swollen foot, by seeing a GP.

But assuming you get the OK from the GP, I would say, just be patient: I suffered from the moderate foot swelling, pins & needles, and numbness below the knees as part of the lovely repetoire of pain we call sciatica, and they eventually went away as I did my exercises and stretches. Took me over a year with the RYB PT, and other recommendations you can find on this site, to rebuild my back. I'm 54 and assume with your previous high level of physical activity and discipline, that you should be able to do as well as I have done, and recover your previous high level of fitness.

I remember being freaked out about the numbness below my knee during the early days of my sciatica, that it indicated some worse than usual type of sciatica ... but muddled thru without surgery. So I'm not so sure pain and numbness below the knee is a harbinger of certain need for surgery ... but I'd certainly want to get some professional, uptodate medical opinions on this. Latest research frequently disproves the old assumptions of traditional back treatment modalities of years ago, that, for instance, surgery is more effective long term than PT.

Randolph
randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain