relieving pain while driving

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

relieving pain while driving

Postby fishingdan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:55 am

I have been doing the cobra stretch since June 1. The pain has been reduced and the major lower back spasms have stopped. My issue is that I have a 12 hours of driving planned for Saturday. Right now, I'm 50/50 on whether that is a good idea. Sitting a period of time seems to be the position that re-ignites the pain. I have tried change my seat positions and angles. I have had some success.

I have two questions:

1) Clearly a disc or something is pressing on the nerve when I'm in a sitting position in the car (unless I'm being super careful about position). The pain is typical in that there is a slight burning sensation down the right hamstring area and some tingling/minor numbness in the right foot (This used to be my symptoms on the left side, but things have moved????). If I can't drive for extended period of time without irritating the nerve, am I prolonging my healing?

2) Has anyone had success with the back support devices for use in an automobile?

Thanks,
Dan
fishingdan

Postby Steven » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:41 pm

Hi Dan,

If you can avoid the driving, you should. It's not going to help your nerve to be sitting for that long.

Yes, the back support pillows and rolls are great. I no longer have back problems, but I have a back support pillow that I use whenever I have to travel in a car that doesn't have good lumbar support.

Steven
Steven

Postby randolph » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:54 am

Hi Dan

Like Steven posted, driving is hard on you during the early stage of sciatica. But there were things I did to be able to drive my big rig that lessened the hurt.

Wearing a back brace REALLY helped. Don't know why, but the simple wearing of a WalMart $30 wide belt worked wonders.

Taking lots of breaks (every hour or two) to do cobras, walk around a bit.

While driving, changing positions frequently. Because so much of my driving is with cruise control, I could also prop up my painful leg into positions that lessened the pain. And it also helped to lift myself up (again, in a big rig there's something to grab onto above my head ... maybe not in your four-wheeler?) to greatly reduce the weight on my butt.

I wouldn't make this a regular thing ... but if this 12 hour drive is going to be a one time thing, I'd take my favorite NSAID naproxem sodium (Aleve) as the drive began. Add having quarts of my favorite caffeinated beverages at hand, and lots of my favorite CDs or XM radio, and a gabby, similarly caffeinated friend to chat with ... and the time will fly by.

Randolph
randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain