Dean,are extension exercises appropriate for lumbarstenosis?

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Dean,are extension exercises appropriate for lumbarstenosis?

Postby Charlie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:20 am

I have read the Rebuild Your Back book and have performed the exercises as indicated. I find the press up exercise actually exacerbates my symptoms of numbness in the right foot and thigh. So my question is are extension exercises appropriate for an individual with a diagnosis of lumbar stenosis who is not experiencing any significant pain BUT with primary symptoms of feelings of subjective (not clinical) heaviness and weakness in the legs while walking? Thanks.
Charlie

Postby cygnet » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:16 pm

My mother has spinal stenosis (arthritic growths inside the spinal canal).

From what I understand, symptoms from stenosis can be aggravated by bending backward, and lessened by bending forward. People with sciatic pain from stenosis can walk for a little while before the pain starts, and then may need to sit down or bend forward to relieve the pain. This happens to my mom.

She is getting surgery for the problem.
cygnet

Postby Dean » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:23 pm

Hi Charlie,

As I mention in the book, "Forget the diagnosis trap."

Instead, I always tell people to listen to what your body is telling you. If a certain exercise makes things worse, drop it for now and concentrate on the others. Later, you can try working it back into your routine.

Eventually, your goal is to be able to bend, stretch and flex in all directions. That may not be possible right now, so just do what you can.

What you are describing are neurological symptoms. (A pinched nerve.) I have an article on pinched nerves that will give you more information on what you're dealing with and how long it usually takes to resolve it.

Getting the Skinny on Pinched Nerves.

Long story short, this is not likely to go away overnight. You're looking at 6 months for the nerve to heal even after all your symptoms are gone.

How long the symptoms will persist is anybody's guess. Just take it one day at a time and take comfort in the fact that you can beat this thing.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:21 pm

Hi Dean,

I would appreciate your feedback regarding the following.

I am not experiencing any significant pain BUT only a feeling that my legs are weak and that I am about to fall! Occasionally I am placing more bodyweight on my left leg when walking and have developed a limp in my right leg that comes and goes. However, after about thirty or so minutes of walking or jogging I find these symptoms begin to dissipate and my legs and gait feel significantly stronger and my gait becomes more stable and normalized. Is it possible for you to offer an explanation as to why my symptoms significantly improve after working out for awhile?

I have been performing hamstring and hip stretches on my back, standing quad stretches and calf stretches as well as a number of stomach strengthening exercises as outlined in your book. I am continuing to exercise at the gym but instead of running use an elliptical machine or walk on a treadmill or nordic track ski simulator. I also continue to weight train but have reduced the amount of weight used as well as exercises that may exacerabate my symptoms.

Dean, any additional recommendations regarding exercises I should and should'nt do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Charles

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:26 pm

cygnet wrote:My mother has spinal stenosis (arthritic growths inside the spinal canal).

From what I understand, symptoms from stenosis can be aggravated by bending backward, and lessened by bending forward. People with sciatic pain from stenosis can walk for a little while before the pain starts, and then may need to sit down or bend forward to relieve the pain. This happens to my mom.

She is getting surgery for the problem.

Thanks cygnet for your feedback.

In my case My symptoms actually improve the longer I walk or workout! In additional I am not experiencing any significant pain BUt feelings of weakness in my legs (not clinical weakness) as if my legs are going to collapse. Dean"s perspective that it appears to be a pinched nerve seems right on target. Hopefully with time it will dissipate and I will feel human again. Charles

Postby Dean » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:29 am

Hi Charlie,

I'm just making a guess, but I believe the reason you're symptoms improve while exercising is because something you're doing is providing temporary relief for the nerve.

It sounds like your doing the right things. I would just keep doing what your doing.
Dean
Site Admin

Return to Lower Back Pain