Tried chiropractors, massage theraphy, acupuncture, DRX 9000

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Tried chiropractors, massage theraphy, acupuncture, DRX 9000

Postby CJ » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:26 pm

I’m a 66-year-old male and have had back problems since I was young. I’m also overweight and I’m sure if I would lose some weight my back would feel much better. As you get older, it’s even harder to make that mental commitment to lose weight.

About 5 years ago my back suddenly got worse. At that time, it turned into a sciatica problem. It was with great pain that I would walk into the grocery store and make it around the outer aisle once before my pain was so bad I had to sit down. At least I was able to get relief from sitting or lying down. Then about the 2d week of May 2007 it got worse than ever. I couldn’t even walk across the parking lot-and how I wished I had one of those Handicap Signs in my car.

During the past couple of years I had tried three different techniques used by chiropractors (one used acupuncture) and a massage therapist. I saw a doctor and he said the X-rays showed herniated and bulging discs in my lower back at L4L5 and L5S1. I got an MRI which they said further confirmed the diagnosis. Last summer I spent $3,300 to go through the DRX9000 procedure. But this gave me little more than temporary relief.

The 3d week of May I was resigned to the last alternative-back surgery. So I started to research the different types of surgery on the Internet. While doing this, I came across Dean’s ad for his website. I read many of the discussions on this forum. Thinking I had nothing to lose, I bought Dean’s ebook Rebuild Your Back. After I had read the book I was gone for the weekend. I couldn’t remember the exercises except the Standing Back Bend. So starting at 7am Saturday morning I did the Standing Back Bend five times every hour all day long. On Sunday, I did them about 4 or 5 times during the day. Monday morning (Labor Day) I did them about 2 times. Monday afternoon, I walked into the liquor store and back to my car having a funny feeling in my lower back but not the excruciating pain!

On Tuesday I started the exercise routine in Chapter 4. During the first week my back pain switched from the left side to the right side of my back and I got some minor twinges in my right leg from the sciatica. Now, it has been about 2 weeks and I have been doing the sciatica modification to the Cobra. I still can get the back pain on the right side of my lower back when I stand too long or walk too far. When I do, I immediately do the standing back bends. But overall, I would estimate an 80% improvement in my back. I think each of us is different and only time will tell what happens from here. I’ll keep you posted.
CJ

Postby Dean » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:35 am

Hi CJ,

Thanks for the status report. Keep us posted.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby randolph » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:44 am

Hi CJ

Glad to hear of your initial successes with RYB!

I'd encourage you to investigate the new developments in weight-loss therapies to help you lose weight, for example Dr. Judith Beck's THE BECK DIET SOLUTION (not another diet, but an application of the recent development in psycho-therapy called cognitive therapy - she leaves it to you to choose what healthy diet you want to adopt, but gives great help in how to adhere to the diet and lifestyle changes you'll have to make to lose weight). There are also recent advances in bariatic surgery which are very effective for some.

Randolph
randolph

Update

Postby CJ » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:56 pm

Since it's been over a month, thought I would update what's happening. I've been continuing with my basic stretching exercises twice a day as I finish up my 5th week. I have minor soreness on my lower right side of my back when I do the sidebend to my right side. So I have held back from going to the next phase of strength exercises. Is this a good idea or should I start out with these slowly? My pain in lower right side of my back begins to creep through when I stand too long or if I walk to far. But I can stand much longer and go much farther than I could when I started RYB. What I really miss is the walking. So yesterday I gave it a try. Walked about one mile at a medium pace then sat and rested for 10 minutes. Made it about 3/4 of the way back when the lower back pain started to return. It was really hurting by the time I got back to the car. I immediately did some standing back bends and side bends. The pain is still persisting today but it is slight. Guess I pushed too much too fast. Unless anyone has some other ideas will continue with the basic stretching for now.
CJ

Postby randolph » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:24 am

Hi CJ

My guess/opinion is that you're pushing yourself reasonably well: just enough to let the pain tell you you've gone far enough ... then doing not much more. And the fact that you woke up with little discomfort is a good sign, too: if you wake up really hurting ... that's possible indication you overdid it WAY too much the previous day. At least that's how it worked with me.

Randolph
randolph

Update from CJ

Postby CJ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:59 pm

It's now 2009 so it's been about a year and a half since I've updated. I continued the same exercises until early 2008. During this time my back had greatly improved. I would say that I was at about 85%. I still couldn't walk for long periods but the pain was gone unless I stood for a long time. I felt the only way to improve my lot was to lose weight. By this time I was also having problems with my knees.

So this year, 2009, I started following the program called BurntheFat by Tom Venuto. His book is excellent by the way. Tom recommends a 3 prong program-healthy eating, body building and cardio. It's been almost 2 months now and I have lost a lot of weight. I watch what I eat (am never hungry) go to the gym 3 days a week for an hour of fitness and the remaining 4 days I do a half hour of cardio on my treadmill. I must say that I'm feeling good. By spring I hope to be able to take long walks again. Will update again then.
CJ

Re: Update from CJ

Postby sbdiscoveries » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:12 am

CJ wrote:It's now 2009 so it's been about a year and a half since I've updated. I continued the same exercises until early 2008. During this time my back had greatly improved. I would say that I was at about 85%. I still couldn't walk for long periods but the pain was gone unless I stood for a long time. I felt the only way to improve my lot was to lose weight. By this time I was also having problems with my knees.

So this year, 2009, I started following the program called BurntheFat by Tom Venuto. His book is excellent by the way. Tom recommends a 3 prong program-healthy eating, body building and cardio. It's been almost 2 months now and I have lost a lot of weight. I watch what I eat (am never hungry) go to the gym 3 days a week for an hour of fitness and the remaining 4 days I do a half hour of cardio on my treadmill. I must say that I'm feeling good. By spring I hope to be able to take long walks again. Will update again then.

I-ve tried an inversion table, and it seems to return a alot of flexibility. I'm 50, but if you've had knee problems/stroke/heart problems, that might not be a good idea. Good luck.
sbdiscoveries

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain