I'm going to give it a try and a couple of questions

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

I'm going to give it a try and a couple of questions

Postby fishingdan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:53 pm

I previously read the Mckenzie book and had success with their version of the cobra stretch. For a couple of years, I think I was able to expedite the recovery from an episode by using that stretch. However, I have now learned from this book that doing that is only the first step.

2 weeks ago, I did something (not sure what) that started a new episode. It is the most severe episode that I have had in a long time.

I have been down (and still going down) the same road as many of you have. I have had the herniated L4-L5 diagnoses, numbness on outside of left calf, 6 rounds of useless PT, tried the crazypractor, and had the shots. The only thing that has helped has been the stretch I found in the McKenzie book. Naturally, I found that after all of the above. I gave that book to a someone a year or so ago. With this recent episode, I went online to order it again and found this book. I donated and downloaded the book. It looks like it takes things to the next level which is what I need once I get beyond this current episode.

Whenever I get a relapse epsisode that is severe enough to keep me home from work (this is the first time in a couple of years), I like to go to the doc to have them record the event (in case I do need some more extreme care) and discuss the situation. I usually leave with a prescription for a muscle relaxer, an anti-inflamatory, and a stronger pain reliever. Of those, I typically only use the occasionaly pain reliever at night while recovering (I guess that would be the healing period in the book). Is there any advantage to using the muscle relaxer and the NSAID?

Is there ever a point when one will need surgery? From the reading I have been doing, it sounds like the answer is no as long as the situation has been caused by poor posture, a sedentary lifestyle and the disc is not obliterated.

Thanks,
Dan
fishingdan

Postby Dean » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:29 am

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the group. I never used any medication during my back pain years so my answer to that question is no, I believe it's to your advantage not to take anything if you can get by without it.

And, if you don't need surgery now, there's no reason that you would need surgery later... as long as you take care of your back.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Return to Lower Back Pain