Poll for Timeframe of healing the nerve

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Poll for Timeframe of healing the nerve

Postby kshum88 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:15 pm

All,

I am interested in knowing other people's comments as to the timeframe for their sciatica sympton to go away. I have been experiencing pain for the past six months and just recently had a relapse. As Randolph described in his post that "Round 2 has begun" for me. I am not really discouraged as I believe that as long as I follow the RYB program I will see the light at the end of the tunnel. However, I do want to get a sense of what timeframe other people in this forum have been through from the initial development of pain 'till the date the the pain completely gone away. A short reply will be sufficient. I will do a tally at the end to get some kind of idea.

Thanks all for your input.

Kevin
kshum88

Postby cygnet » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:16 pm

Kevin, this is a good idea.

I had constant severe pain from hip to my foot for ten weeks. The pain stopped pretty abruptly.

After the pain stopped, I still had bad muscle weakness, muscle atrophy, numbness and pins and needles in my foot. Most of that went away after eight more weeks.

It's been six months since my sciatica started. My left leg is still slightly smaller than the right, and sometimes there is still a tiny bit of pins and needles in my foot. I occasionally still have lower back pain, but haven't had the sciatica back - thankfully! Knock on wood.

Also, I limped for four months. As a result of that and the muscle cramps, all the muscles in my left leg, my lower back, and on my right side are now chronically tight. I have to stretch them every day. They haven't returned to normal yet.

Overall though, I am very very happy to be about 90% of what I was before the injury. Working on getting back to 100% eventually.
cygnet

How long?????

Postby krd » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:03 am

kshum88

My first bout was in 2005 and lasted for approximately 3 months (slightly less). After that, had stiff back sometimes, but was able to most anything.

Had my second episode in 2006. That lasted for 5 months, and would have been longer if I didn't opt for the epidurals (2 in 3 weeks time). I have now been completely pain free and doing everything that I could before the sciatica. Playing golf 3 to 4 times a week. I believe that the PT, daily core exercises, strength training, and walking everyday have been the difference.

I look forward to the responses to this questions. Hope you are well soon.

Ken
krd

Postby randolph » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:12 pm

Kevin

My experience similiar to Cygnet's ... but my initial injury happened 9/05 and relapse 4/06.

Took 4 months after initial injury, and 2 months after relapse to hobble along well enough to return to work with maybe half function, and constant 3/4 pain.

Now (14 months after relapse) only very minor, very infrequent aches that last just seconds (level 1 pain). No limitations on function, though I've substituted non-weighted resistance calisthenics for my pre-injury weight training, and have reconditioned to running at previous level of fitness (run 45-60 minutes 3-4 X's/wk). Flexibility is 95% of pre-injury level.

I do many of the RYB stretches and exercises 5/6 days/wk(45-60 mins/session), and especially concentrate on hammy stretches as they are still not quite as flexible as pre-injury days. When I started running again 12/06, I had gained 15-20 lbs from not being able to run for 15 months, and now down to 5 lbs to burn off .... starting to see the abs again.

Like Ken, I give doing the exercises/stretches most days, most of the credit for my successful rehab from those first horrible months I suffered from sciatica. I still hate doing them, but I hate not doing them more, and I really like how I feel after completing my exercise sessions and how I continue to get stronger and more flexible.

I think your belief is well-founded, Kevin, that you will reach the light at the end of tunnel, eventually, as you continue to exercise.

Randolph
randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain