trying to find my way to a better life

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

trying to find my way to a better life

Postby Mary, not contrary..lol.. » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:51 pm

Hi everyone! First timer here, both for this site and asking for help in a forum. Read all of your replys and everyone seems very nice so maybe you can help me too.
Been fighting back pain since about 2001, had tests, epidurals, tons of meds and even have an infusion pump implant supplying morphine to my spine. I don't, can't exercise (pt 6 times and no relief) and had an appt with an orthopedic surgeon to verify bones ok.. he said it is my sciatica nerve. My pain dr sent me to him to verify we weren't missing anything. Can you give me an idea of what the exercises are like? I have various limitations, so I tell myself, I'm not very flexible and gardening is 1 of my favorite things to do. Afraid I wont be able to get out and take care of my plants this year.
Your input and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Hope to 1 day be BACK in the swing of things...I am only 45!!

Thanks again,
Mary :(
Mary, not contrary..lol..

Postby Dean » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:26 pm

Hi Mary,

I try to cover four areas in my book: stretching, strengthening, mobilization and decompression. Most other programs that I've seen only cover one area. Don't ask me why. Not too surprisingly, they tend to have limited results.

The exercises are not difficult... in fact, they've been affectionately described as "wimpy" by several of our group. I doubt that you'll have any trouble doing them.

My approach is to take you slowly and gently from the healing phase to a one month "basic" stage and eventually to a "moderate" level I call the advanced stage. An athletic person would go way beyond my so-called "advanced" stage.

There are more aggressive programs than mine, but I believe they are best left to clinical settings with professional supervision.

I hope I've answered your questions,

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain