ever heard of this?

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

ever heard of this?

Postby astro8 » Mon May 28, 2007 9:11 am

Hi to all, I'm new, so a little history...I'm male, 43 and I've always had a history of a weak back and sciatic trouble and arthritis in knees and hip which I've managed to keep under control but at easter this year I noticed I hurt my back as I have done in the past but it always comes good and as usual two weeks later it did BUT then the sciatica started up in right hip area first which I took for an arthritis flare up until I started to drop to the floor, absolutely unbelievable pain and I'm no stranger to pain after being 40% burnt in a house fire!

Anyway, after a few weeks of this I had a cat scan and diagnosed herniated disc at S1-L5...so I had an epidural last week which hasn't helped much as yet along with any pain medications so I just stopped taking them. The shooting pains and ankle and knee bone and foot pain and numbness and all that I can deal with but now I have alternating pains beside my pectoral muscles as if a needle is being inserted? Is this normal? There are no lumps or doesn't even feel sore to the touch, all I can feel when I probe with my fingers is rib bone.....only when I lower my arms do I feel the pain and what is more disturbing is that it alternates from side to side...got me stumped.

I ordered the rebuild your back book but didn't get the link to download, so sent Dean an email. I've read through a lot of the posts here and am inspired to get on with fixing myself!

Any input about the weird 'rib' pains would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks for a great forum...
astro8

Postby Steven » Mon May 28, 2007 11:54 am

Hi astro8,

The back book should help with your lower back problem, but you've got me on the weird rib pain.

I'm pretty sure the two aren't related. Symptoms of lower back pain are generally all from the waist down. Anything that occurs above the lumbar region would have to be caused by something else.

Wish I could be of more help,
Steven
Steven

Postby astro8 » Thu May 31, 2007 1:57 am

Thanks for the reply Steven but I'm positive these are related somehow as when the sciatica subsides a little from laying down, the pains in the ribs start and vice versa. Maybe I have more damage than I suspect? I'd better go and have this checked out...let you know how I get on.

Greg
astro8

Postby astro8 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:32 pm

Hi to all, well the good news for me that the rib pain is slowly starting to subside, so I'm just going to ignore it as don't want to get on the merry-go-round of undiagnosable symptoms!

I can't seem to do the standing back arch exercise whatsoever but manage a very limited cobra. Is this the norm? All other exercises apart from the "cat" are out at the moment. If I try and stand up I'm bent at 90 degrees and walk with my hands on my knees so maybe this has something to do with it.

After reading these posts and Deans books I've come to the conclusion that my condition is the result of years of neglect. I took a good look at my legs and have noticed that the sciatica affected leg has lost a lot of muscle, especially the calf...but I'll deal with this later.

It's comforting to know there are others on here that have recovered and after I read their posts it really helps mentally. This pain can play havoc with motivation!

Greg
astro8

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain