Assistance would be appreciated

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Assistance would be appreciated

Postby Charlie » Sat May 12, 2007 9:43 pm

Hi guys,

I am confronted with an unusual set of symptoms and was wondering if you could assist me in figuring out if the back/neck rebuilding program is appropriate for my situation. When I walk or run, for the first fifteen minutes or so, it feels as if my right leg is very weak and about to collapse! My left leg also feels weak. However, after fifteen minutes into my exercise these feelings significantly subside and my legs feel stronger and more secure and the movement is more fluid. FYI About a month and a half ago I sustained a back injury when lifting some heavy weights at the gym. Subsequently I developed pain in the back, which was never very significant and diffuse and random muscle twitching throughout my body. I also have recently experienced intermittent slight sciatic pain on the left side afer my PT had me perform cobra and other stetching exercises.

I have previously been diagnosed with foraminal narrowing and appear to have a bulging disc in the lumbar region (based on ther results of MRIs). I have engaged in very intense exercise including heavy aerobics and weight training for many years that contributed to these injuries. In addition I am seated on a couch for more twelve hours a day while working on a computer.

I have recently been examined by a Neurologist (including an EMG to rule out motor neuron disease and an MRI of the brain to rule out MS) who did not find any major neurological disorders or neurological deficits and states that in addition to the foraminal narrowing and lumbar disc bulge I have fibromyalgia. The Neurologist merely indicated that stenosis and the bulging disc may be causing these leg symptoms because there is absolutely no clinical signs of any major neurological disorder in spite of my perceived symptoms. He as well as a Physical Therapist believe that the leg symptoms may emanate from prolonged sitting resulting in a compression on a nerve. They believe that it improves after walking or running for a period of time due to the disc moving away from the nerve!

I would appreciate any feedback or thoughts regarding my situation and whether the back/neck rebuilding program is congruent with my needs. Carl
Charlie

Postby cygnet » Sun May 13, 2007 9:06 am

Hi Carl,

I can't imagine that 12 hours of sitting, on a couch no less, can do anything but harm to your back. Is there any way you could make changes, such as getting a good computer chair with lumbar support, and getting up to move around every hour while working?

I'm no doctor, but to me it sounds like you have very typical lower back problems that would benefit from core conditioning exercises like the Rebuild Your Back program. These exercises are very different from weightlifting - they target muscles that weightlifting doesn't.

I was virtually bedridden in severe pain from sciatica from December until mid-February. When the pain subsided, I had numbness in my left foot, muscle weakness (I needed a cane to walk, and was unsteady on my feet), and lost a lot of muscle mass in my left leg due to nerve damage. That experience made me aware that you can neglect your spine, or mistreat it, with very serious consequences. I was lucky because six months later, I can now do almost everything I could do before. I haven't regained the lost muscle mass on the left side though, so that may be permanent.

I just started a desk job again after being unemployed for four months from the injury. I've been sitting at a desk for three weeks now, 40 hours a week (plus two hours daily commute). In the past three weeks I've seen an increase in lower back pain and stiffness, even though I sit in a good chair, get up and stretch every hour, and do an exercise regimen every other day.

Sitting is really hard on the lower back. I say do everything you can to counteract the bad effects of your work environment before your problems get worse!

I'm leaving this temporary desk job in two weeks, and switching to another kind of work that doesn't require me to be chained to a desk all day every day, because I want to do whatever I can to tip the odds in my favor with the possibility of back injury.

Good luck with your back - you can very likely improve or eliminate your symptoms by doing the program.

- Leigh
cygnet

Re: Assistance would be appreciated

Postby Maracuja » Sun May 13, 2007 4:04 pm

Charlie wrote:Hi guys,

I am confronted with an unusual set of symptoms and was wondering if you could assist me in figuring out if the back/neck rebuilding program is appropriate for my situation. When I walk or run, for the first fifteen minutes or so, it feels as if my right leg is very weak and about to collapse! My left leg also feels weak. However, after fifteen minutes into my exercise these feelings significantly subside and my legs feel stronger and more secure and the movement is more fluid. FYI About a month and a half ago I sustained a back injury when lifting some heavy weights at the gym. Subsequently I developed pain in the back, which was never very significant and diffuse and random muscle twitching throughout my body. I also have recently experienced intermittent slight sciatic pain on the left side afer my PT had me perform cobra and other stetching exercises.

I have previously been diagnosed with foraminal narrowing and appear to have a bulging disc in the lumbar region (based on ther results of MRIs). I have engaged in very intense exercise including heavy aerobics and weight training for many years that contributed to these injuries. In addition I am seated on a couch for more twelve hours a day while working on a computer.

I have recently been examined by a Neurologist (including an EMG to rule out motor neuron disease and an MRI of the brain to rule out MS) who did not find any major neurological disorders or neurological deficits and states that in addition to the foraminal narrowing and lumbar disc bulge I have fibromyalgia. The Neurologist merely indicated that stenosis and the bulging disc may be causing these leg symptoms because there is absolutely no clinical signs of any major neurological disorder in spite of my perceived symptoms. He as well as a Physical Therapist believe that the leg symptoms may emanate from prolonged sitting resulting in a compression on a nerve. They believe that it improves after walking or running for a period of time due to the disc moving away from the nerve!

I would appreciate any feedback or thoughts regarding my situation and whether the back/neck rebuilding program is congruent with my needs. Carl

Hi Carl,

I suggest you read Sarno's book the Mind Body Prescription. Believe me it works. I strongly believe stress causes a lot of physical pain. The mind wants to distract itself from confronting psychological problems such as anger, rage and so on by creating physical symptoms. Sarno's book helps me understand these feelings and thus control physical ailments. Believe me, it does work.
Maracuja

Postby Guest » Sun May 13, 2007 9:16 pm

cygnet wrote:Hi Carl,

I can't imagine that 12 hours of sitting, on a couch no less, can do anything but harm to your back. Is there any way you could make changes, such as getting a good computer chair with lumbar support, and getting up to move around every hour while working?

I'm no doctor, but to me it sounds like you have very typical lower back problems that would benefit from core conditioning exercises like the Rebuild Your Back program. These exercises are very different from weightlifting - they target muscles that weightlifting doesn't.

I was virtually bedridden in severe pain from sciatica from December until mid-February. When the pain subsided, I had numbness in my left foot, muscle weakness (I needed a cane to walk, and was unsteady on my feet), and lost a lot of muscle mass in my left leg due to nerve damage. That experience made me aware that you can neglect your spine, or mistreat it, with very serious consequences. I was lucky because six months later, I can now do almost everything I could do before. I haven't regained the lost muscle mass on the left side though, so that may be permanent.

I just started a desk job again after being unemployed for four months from the injury. I've been sitting at a desk for three weeks now, 40 hours a week (plus two hours daily commute). In the past three weeks I've seen an increase in lower back pain and stiffness, even though I sit in a good chair, get up and stretch every hour, and do an exercise regimen every other day.

Sitting is really hard on the lower back. I say do everything you can to counteract the bad effects of your work environment before your problems get worse!

I'm leaving this temporary desk job in two weeks, and switching to another kind of work that doesn't require me to be chained to a desk all day every day, because I want to do whatever I can to tip the odds in my favor with the possibility of back injury.

Good luck with your back - you can very likely improve or eliminate your symptoms by doing the program.

- Leigh

Leigh, thanks for the feedback.

Yes, it appears that sitting for such long periods of time on the couch is contributing to my leg issues. However, in contrast to many of the posters on this forum I am not experiencing very much pain at all (I have intermittent mild sciatic pain on the left side)! For instance, today I went for a hike on very steep terain and initially, for the first twenty minutes or so, my legs, especially the right one felt very weak, my thighs felt stiff and I felt as if my legs would buckle! However, after twenty minutes of so my legs felt stronger, more stable and the feelings of weakness dissipated considerably. After two hours of fairly rigorous walking I was moving rapidly and fluidly and did not have any of the previously noted symptoms. Any idea as to what is going on? Any feedback would be appreciated including any recommendations as to how I should proceed (ie, review the books on this website, seek out the services of a Mckenzie PT or a Physiatrist, etc). Thank you.

Postby Guest » Sun May 13, 2007 9:22 pm

Maracuja, thanks for the advice. Due to the fact that I am not experiencing very much pain I don't believe that Sarno's book and philosophy relates to my presenting symptoms.

Postby Charlie » Wed May 16, 2007 8:40 pm

I was evaluated by a Mackenzie certified PT today who had me do pressups and lying on the floor on my stomach while supporting myself for ten minutes.

In addition to obtaining PT is there a benefit of my obtaining the books on this website to complement my therapy. I would really appreciate feedback folks. Thanks. Charlie
Charlie

Return to Lower Back Pain