RYB vs. Physiatrist Recommends

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

RYB vs. Physiatrist Recommends

Postby Bryan » Tue May 01, 2007 6:25 pm

My doctor has recommended that I not do any exercises that hyper-extend or arch my back based on bulging/herniation of at least one disc.

Has it been your experience (Dean) or anyone else that the RYB approach is universal despite this concern?
Bryan

Postby Dean » Tue May 01, 2007 10:02 pm

Hi Bryan,

The only advice I can give under the circumstances is to follow your doctor's instructions. If his way doesn't work, then use your own judgement.

This may sound like a cop-out, but you have to understand that my hands are tied. I have to assume your doctor has good reasons for giving you those instructions.

To answer your second question; no, RYB isn't carved in stone. It is just one approach to rebuilding your back... and is meant to be flexible.

Keep us posted on your progress,
Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby Bryan » Tue May 01, 2007 11:09 pm

Thanks Dean - understand your hands being tied. Perhaps if I ask the question a different way?

If you had a diagnosis of a herniated disc protruding apparently against the sciatic nerve. How would you handle it? Would you proceed with your program? Understand that your response only applies to you and is not a recommendation for anyone else.

Thanks,
Bryan
Bryan

RYB exercises

Postby krd » Wed May 02, 2007 6:59 am

Hey Bryan

I don't know what your Dr. means by that statement. However, I too had a very large herniated disk at L5. I was bed ridden for approximately 8 weeks last summer. Finally had 2 epidurals, 3 weeks apart and then started agressive PT for 8 weeks at 3 times a week. It has now been almost 8 months since my final injection, and I am completely pain free, exercising daily, walking daily, and playing golf about 3 to 4 times a week again.

The RYB program does work for me. I also modify it and do the exercises more frequently to build up my core muscles. The cobra is the best stretch for me, it feels so good and is the most productive.

Good luck and we will be checking in on your progress.

Ken
krd

Postby Dean » Wed May 02, 2007 9:29 am

Bryan wrote:Thanks Dean - understand your hands being tied. Perhaps if I ask the question a different way?

If you had a diagnosis of a herniated disc protruding apparently against the sciatic nerve. How would you handle it? Would you proceed with your program? Understand that your response only applies to you and is not a recommendation for anyone else.

Thanks,
Bryan

Speaking strictly for myself, I would follow my own program and only modify it if I found an exercise was making the problem worse instead of better.

My reason for this is because I designed it to be a balanced exercise program and not one that only targets (or spot treats) a certain symptom.

Herniated discs are merely a symptom of overall back degeneration and may only be a part of the problem. Quite often they're not really the cause of the sciatica at all. Check out the bibliography references I mention in this article: The Truth About Herniated Discs.

My goal in rebuilding my own back was to recondition the entire support structure. And to me, that still seems to be the best overall plan.

On the other hand, there is little danger in following your doctor's advice as long as you don't fall into the trap of thinking that certain exercises are harmful. Try it his way for now and see how you do.

You can always go back on the RYB program at a later date.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed May 02, 2007 12:06 pm

Thanks Ken and Dean - appreciate the comments/feedback.

I'm exploring a variety of approaches to address my back issues (RYB, Sarno, Physiatrist, etc.) so will provide updates on progress.

Currently recovering from pretty severe sciatic pain that was dramatically reduced following a Medrol Dose Pack and some OTC anti-inflams. EMG and NCV testing showed no issues/problems and I go for an MRI tomorrow. Physiatrist will be ordering PT although I've done many of the right exercises and stretching for some time. My problem is the opposite of many folks as the nerve pinch is exacerbated by standing or lying flat. Maintaining a curve or sitting takes almost all the pressure off (no pain) although I still have some numbness on the outside of my foot and a couple toes. I've had a mild version of these symptoms for about 9-12 months which I managed with chiro / trigger point massage / core exercises but it became acute a few weeks ago (for no apparent reason).

Postby Dean » Wed May 02, 2007 10:28 pm

Do keep us posted on what you find out.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

UPDATE

Postby Bryan » Mon May 07, 2007 5:32 pm

MRI showed improvement in some of my discs from a year ago (had my own RYB going?) but 7mm protrusion in L5/S1 and 3mm bulge in L4/L5. My doctor was pretty shocked that it wasn't much worse than this. He also noted that my nerve canal appears to be slightly more narrow than average which could/would exaggerate effects of any disc issues.

So I am prescribed PT for the next 4-5 weeks (no extension movements) and we are continuing with low but increasing doses of Neurontin (300mg a day to 600mg a day). Also suggested exploring an epidural to reduce the inflammation but left that to my discretion at this point.

I have already begun some of the RYB basics and will now be augmenting that with PT so will keep updating progress. Still have some numbness in toes and outside of left foot but off all pain-killers for more than a week and have been mobile/working for about the same period of time. Also received my copy of Dr. Sarno's book "Healing Back Pain" from Amazon today so will get started on that as well.
Bryan

Postby Dean » Tue May 08, 2007 4:34 pm

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the update. Keep us apprised of what you discover.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain