long term Numbness in foot and leg

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

long term Numbness in foot and leg

Postby KC » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:27 pm

About a year and a half ago I developed pain and numbness in my right leg. The MRI showed the L4-L5 had a bulging disc. I did the normal things like rest, physical therapy, the shots, chiropractor etc. After a few weeks the pain went away but the numbness in the back of my let and portions of my right foot have never regained any feeling.

The numbness does not really affect my day to day activities, except for running and biking that I have not done in a year and half. A few weeks ago I found this site and bought the book, and have begun to do the stretches in the book.

My question is what are the long term effects of the numbness? Will it get worse, and loose more feeling in my foot? I've pretty much accepted the fact that the feeling will probably never come back, but I'd like to know if it will get worse?

Thanks for any advance you can give me.
KC

Postby Ron » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:28 am

Hi KC,

The numbness will probably not get worse. It may stay the same, but most likely it will improve over time. It all depends on the extent of damage to the nerve.

Ron
Ron

Numbness

Postby Don J. » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:25 pm

Hi KC,

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I've been rebuilding for about 4 months now and all of my sciatica symptoms have gone away except for the numbness in my foot. It's getting better and some days I think it's finally gone but then it will come back the next day. I believe in time it will go away completely. Everything I've read here and elsewhere says that nerves take a long time to heal. Just have to hang in there and let time do its thing.

Don J.
Don J.

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain