sciatica bites!

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

sciatica bites!

Postby Sciaticus » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:29 am

A job change has led to sitting at my computer for interminable hours on end and I think this has led to me having bilateral Sciatica symptoms. I had two MRI's and two EMG's done two months apart. The MRI's were negative:the EMG's positive. The EMG's were positive all the way to both L5-S1 joint nerve roots. These symptoms had lasted 4 months as this point and I experienced alot of pain and increasing weakness. I was stumbling around like a 100 year old man, and I had to stand still for five mintes after getting out of my truck or up from desk before I could walk.

Medical history abreviated: Since there was no visible cause, my orthopedic suggested cortisone injections which I refused. Went to neurologist in search of diagnosis and had repeat EMG, but since there was no "disc involvement" in the MRI, he prescribed a spinal puncture which I refused. Symptoms had now lasted six months, but were level.

It's now two months since I saw the neurologist and my symtoms have improved a little overall, but they are variable. I'm still not going to have foreign objects stuck into my spinal canal or even near it, and my search for a cure had led me to this "rebuild your back" site.

You sound like my kind of knucklheads; ie, people who take control of their situation rather than controlled by them. I can't be sure that my theory of excessive "asstime" is correct, but it's the only thing in my routine that's changed. Afterall, the first rule of analytical troubleshooting is "what has changed".

Along with getting a "sit/stand unit for my office, I'm planning to try the exercises in Rebuild Your Back to well.......errr rebuild my back!

Any suggestions, personal experiences, recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Sciaticus

Postby Seann » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:57 pm

Sciaticus......I like that.......

The key tho this program, from my personal experience is to make sure you read the book carefully and continue to reference it, even after you feel you know what you're doing. Also, don't rush. Listen to your body and only do what's comfortable.

That's about all I can tell you right now other than I agree with your decision to stay away from the knife.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Seann

Postby randolph » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:37 pm

Hi Sciaticus

Yes, your theory is correct: too much sitting, without taking breaks to exercise/stretch, can be very hard on the back, leading, in my case, to sciatica ... maybe, in your case, to the problems you're having. In his books, Dean calls the problem, too much "C" posture.

I drive a big truck 10-20 hours each day without a problem, now that I make sure I take frequent breaks (every 2-3 hrs) to exercise/stretch, and I do a lot of wiggling around in the driver's seat while I drive.

Writing, one knuckle-head to another, I occassionally wonder what common characteristics we share, those of us who come here. I sometimes think we have some positive ones, (virtues almost!), like you suggested: self-initiative, independent thinkers. But I'm inclined to think we've been forced, due to lack of money, to find alternatives to the high priced spinal treatments that Randy Johnson, Larry Bird, JFK, etc. can afford. I guess this is the silver lining to the dark cloud that being on the lower end of the financial bell-curve provides: we can't afford the high-priced treatments that, in this case, are frequently inferior to the do-it-yourself treatments, that we can afford.

I'm watching Randy Johnson with great interest, not only because I am a baseball fan, but to see how he does with his recent back surgery (Oct '06). My guess is that he blows out his back by the end of this season (since he's doing nothing to rebuild his back), and ends up like Larry Bird with a metal rod surgically implanted into his spine ... and taking lots of meds to deal with lots of chronic pain.

Randolph
randolph

Postby Paul » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:00 pm

Definately takes a certain type of person to rebuild their back. I think the average person assumes it's going to be hard so they never even try. I ran into a guy just last week who was complaining about back pain and I told him about RYB. He didn't want to hear anything about it once I mentioned the word exercise.

It's like the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

Paul
Paul

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain