Back spasms in the early hours

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Back spasms in the early hours

Postby niksindamix » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:36 pm

Hi everyone

I have to admit, I feel a bit bad complaining when everyone on here has such worse back problems than I do! BTW, I'm 26, female, 5'2" and overweight.

I've struggled with muscle spasms in my lower back just under my ribs for about a year; they wake me up at about four in the morning, then I can't get back to sleep until they've subsided (usually about an hour or two's general pottering). And then they're back again in the morning. And recently, I've been getting terrible shooting pains down my right buttock and leg, accompanied by stiffness and cramping. No reflex problems when I went to the doctor, so he doesn't think its sciatica. I've tried every different mattress, sleeping position and pillow alignment under the sun, to no avail. So, I'm going to give your RYB exercises a go and see how that pans out! I'm very optimistic, so hopefully it'll be a case of mind over matter...

Love
Nikki
niksindamix

Postby Steven » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:06 pm

Hi Nikki,

Welcome to the group. Thanks for telling us your story. Keep us posted on your progress.

Steven
Steven

Postby niksindamix » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:11 pm

I tried the RYB exercises today - found it really painful to lie on my front so didn't get very far before bugging out. The sciatica seems a lot lot worse now - I can't move at all without a shrieking pain inside my buttock. Should I stop trying to do the exercises?
niksindamix

Postby Steven » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:45 pm

Hi again Nikki,

Some people do find it painful to lie on their stomach at first. So you shouldn't be alarmed.

What we usually advise is that if an exercise makes things worse, stop doing it for now and just do the exercises that you can. You can try adding the exercise in later after you've had a chance to get past the pain.

If that doesn't help, Dean has some different exercises in his Pain Relief Manual book that seem to help with chronic back problems. Also, Bill P has an interesting exercise you might find helpful that you can do lying on your back. Read his post in the Sacroiliac Strain thread here:

http://www.rebuildyourback.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=525

Hang in there, it may take a little experimentation, but you will find what works best for you.

I will be curious to hear how it goes so keep us posted.

Steven
Steven

Return to Lower Back Pain