Thanks Dean

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Thanks Dean

Postby redshoes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:03 pm

I am on day 5 of doing the basic exercises. I can now sit for short periods of time and my sciatica is receeding. I can't believe how mnay people that I have talked to suffer from low back pain and sciatica problems. I have referred a number to this ssite and RYB book. My family DR said no more PT or accupunctire after I got my MRI last week. She referred me to a Chiropractor! I am not going to do that. I have scheduled an appointment with a physiatrist, but have to wait a month for an appointment (guess that is why Arizona is considered an "underserved state" by my insurance company. In any case I am feeling hopeful that I will be well recovered on my own thby then thanks to RYB.
redshoes

Postby Dean » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi redshoes,

I've been following your posts ... and at one point was going to suggest that you take one month and just try the RYB program and see if it would work for you... however, you beat me to the punch and started in on your own... so I never had to say anything. 8)

By the way, I'm a big fan of Ballroom dancing (thanks in part to "Dancing with the Stars") and if I ever have such a thing as free time again, I plan on taking lessons. I especially like the Latin dances. My favorites are the Jive and the Cha Cha mainly because they work with the old Rock and Roll. (But I plan to try everything.)

Do you have any advice for finding a good school/teacher? There are several schools in Springfield, but I have no idea how to go about choosing one.

Do keep us posted on your progress.

Dean
Dean
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:19 pm

Wow Dean--
I'm impressed that you want to learn ballroom dancing. I actually think foxtrot is the hardest. We like quickstep but it is as they say quick and both people have to be together or you just about fall or wrestle. I suggest you just try to find a teacher you like. Don't get roped in to buying a whole bunch of lessons at once. Some places have drop in group lessons and a dance on the weekends. I found that to be a good place to start. Went thru a lot of teachers to find good ones--some were very frustrating. If there is a USA dance Club Chapter in Springfield that is a good place to start. We take a lot of new dancers under our wing so to speak to help them sample what is available. I think jive is pretty hard because it requires so much energy. We do swing (east and weat coast). It's a bit easier--so is cha cha once you get the hang of latin motion which is what your shoulder shrug is. rumba is also nice--same type of motion but slower. I plan to go dancing tonight for a little whhile. Will keep you posted on how things progress.

Postby Dean » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:08 am

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check into the USA dance club and see if we have a chapter here. I like the idea of drop in group lessons as a way to try things out. (Except I'm afraid I'd be holding everybody else up.)

Most of the advertised lessons I've seen are package deals where you sign up for several weeks at a time. I don't mind doing that as long as I know I'm getting a good teacher and a good class.

I'm mostly interested in learning the Swing styles to start with... and maybe work up to the jive and quick step and that sort of thing.

I'd love to be able to move like Tony Dovolani. Talk about smooth... 8)
Dean
Site Admin

Postby redshoes » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:21 pm

Hi Dean-
You might want to call dance studios and ask if they have an open dance with drop in lesson--a lot of them do this on Fri or Sat evening. don't worry about holding anyone up. Most dancers are really glad to help newcomers (especially guys). A recent issue of the USA Dance magazine had an article about a woman who is 100 years old and is still doing competetive ballroom dancing. Her goal for this year is to compete in the Ohio Star ball. this is the big one in the US. She is my hero. I hope to be dancing at 100 if I live that long. The more you practice the better you will be able to move. Dance is a process and I think every dancer is constantly striving to be better--even Tony. I like Michael Meade and Toni Redpath and Anna Mikiad ( can't spell her name) and Victor Fong. They are awsome! We too a private with Toni when we were in San Diego in Dec. I would Love to take one with Victor (I think they live in LA.) Anyway, I enjoyed dancing last night and actually slept thru the night with no pain for the first time since the episode started.Again many thanks to you and your book. By the way I think dancing requires good posture and that is why it works well for the back.
redshoes

Postby randolph » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:49 am

Glad to read, Redshoes, that you're giving the exercises a try!

Thanks for the dancing tips. I assume there's realistic hope for those of us born with two left feet, right? Or is my present brain-disconnect with my legs a permanent disability?? :lol:

Randolph
randolph

Postby redshoes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:36 am

Hi Randolph--
It sounds like you have "been there" with everything going on with my bac. Thanks for the encouragement. As far as dancing goes, it is like any sport--it just takes practice, but I think every human being naturally is moved by music and our bodies want to move with it. What you see on TV takes a lot of work and you will notice even atheletes say it takes conditioning. That is the hard part for me. I hope I don't loose muscle tone I have developed. I did go dancing for the first time in weeks on Fri night. My partner says he felt my back was stronger than it has been, so that is good. I am really missing dancing and the social aspects of seeing friends, but most of our dancing is in Phoenix which is a 2 hour drive from here. I don't feel I'm up to making that trip yet. Maybe I can start laying the seats flat and not sitting???Driving is difficult but I do have to make short trips to grocery, drug store, etc. The dogs think I am one of them because I sit on the floor (or squat or kneel) a lot. Fortunately I'm the alpha dog so they know better than to get too close to my food.
redshoes

Postby randolph » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:06 pm

Hi Redshoes

You might be able to lessen the negative effects of not dancing much by cross-training with forms of aerobic and strength activities that you can do, until you can dance a lot again. Having been a runner until my sciatica prevented me from running, I was also very concerned about losing conditioning. I was able to swim some, ride an exercise bike, and do floor exercises (boring ... but effective). Maybe you can find some alternate forms of exercising that will keep you from getting "too" out of shape?

Randolph
randolph

Return to Lower Back Pain