Upper leg & lower back pain

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Upper leg & lower back pain

Postby Lance » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:18 am

Hello,

I just found this site after doing a web search following an infomercial on lower back pain. Long story short, last year a physical therapist told me that I have a bulging disc in my lower back.

Unfortunately, being a full time student and working full time to support my family, I don't have the resources to afford medical insurance and I have been dropped from Medicaid because I don't fit the guidelines.

When I go bowling, I get pain in my left thigh from mild to excruciating, (common perronial, hamstring, and groin areas). When sleeping on my stomach, I have to hang my feet off the end of the bed because it feels like my ankle ligaments (?) have lost their flexibility.

I am 33 years old and love to bowl. What can I do to relieve this pain and enjoy pain free bowling and basketball again.

Thank you in advance for your help. By the way, why doesn't playing softball (hitting) hurt my leg/lower back like bowling and basketball?
Lance

Postby Steven » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:10 pm

Hi Lance,

It would be hard to say why one sport hurts your back when another one doesn't. I'm puzzled too that softball doesn't bother you if bowling does. Would seem that batting would put more strain on the back doesn't it?

I would suggest that you take some time off from the sports activities and concentrate on rebuilding your back for now. Continually injuring and re-injuring your back is just going to prolong the problem and could lead to more serious troubles.

By the way, you didn't mention if you'd read the RYB book yet or not so I'll also toss in that rebuilding your back is not about "muscle building" so sports and conventional exercises aren't going to get the job done.

I'm surprised your physical therapist didn't do more for you in this area. Usually they're pretty good.

Steven
Steven

Postby Lance » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:27 pm

No, I haven't read the book yet. The PT had me doing core strength and stretching exercises, along with heat and "electrical shock" combined treatment (LOL, I can't remember what it was called).

He also had me stop bowling for about two months, but recommended to keep up with basketball for the physical fitness benefits since it did not hurt.

I think with bowling, it is the weight of the bowling ball combined with the twisting motion during release and follow through that aggrevates my back. A jarring/twisting motion basically.

Working full time (midnight shift), in college full time (evening classes), and being a husband and father of two really limits my ability to just leave the house and go play basketball.

I'll have to look for the book in book stores when I get a chance.
Lance

Rebuild your Back Book

Postby Jules Western Australia » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:08 am

Hi Lance - you can download the book from this website for a donation - it's well worth a read! I am in my third week and have had very good results with the first lot of exercises. My CT scan said a disc extrusion impringing on the nerve root - sciatica I think. Anyhow, I am almost pain-free during the day but still having a little trouble sleeping. I have tried the sleeping lumbar roll - not successfully at the moment, but hanging in there. I have also stopped all other exercise for the time being - doing a fair bit of sewimming though which seems to help. I am eager to get back on the bike, but a bit afraid, may try a short one this weekend. Good luck.
Jules Western Australia

Postby randolph » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:05 pm

Hi Lance

That's quite a load you're carrying. I'm wondering how you're doing with working that graveyard shift? I admire your motivation and work ethic, but is it possible you're trying to do too much?

I worked that shift for 5 years (also during my gun-ho 30's)... and life sure worked a lot better for me when I got back to sleeping at night, working during the day. I had to give up a few activities, but suffer less stress. I've met people who claim they do well on the graveyard shift, but I wasn't one of them.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it wouldn't hurt to seriously consider if you're really suited to work so much, especially during the night when sleep seems to be the thing to do for most of us.

Randolph
randolph

Return to Lower Back Pain