New York times article - interesting

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

New York times article - interesting

Postby cygnet » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:41 pm

Interesting article in today's New York Times. It talks about injuries & inflammation, and has some intriguing ideas about managing it - some quite surprising. Sciatica is mentioned on page 2. Worth a look. Brief excerpt below...

January 11, 2007
Fashion & Style Section

When It’s O.K. to Run Hurt

By GINA KOLATA

JUST before the end of last year, a prominent orthopedic surgeon was stretching to lift a heavy box and twisted his back. The pain was agonizing. He could not sit, and when he lay down he could barely get up.

So the surgeon, Dr. James Weinstein of Dartmouth College, decided to go out for a run.

“I took an anti-inflammatory, iced up, and off I went,” Dr. Weinstein recalled. When he returned, he said, he felt “pretty good.”.....
cygnet

Postby randolph » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:57 am

Yes, interesting.

And I didn't realize you could read the NYTimes anytime you wanted ... for free :o

Randolph
randolph

Postby randolph » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:17 am

Cygnet

The other NYTimes article on Nov 22 '06 you referred to in Jay's thread (surgery vs. physical therapy effectiveness for sciatica), is a good summary of info originating in the Journal of the American Medical Association, Nov 22 '06 issue. For a lot more info on the clinical trial and interesting considerations, read comments by Eugene Carragee and David Flum, in that JAMA issue.

I'd make a link for you to get there, but I don't know how to do that; the search is not that difficult, though.

Randolph
randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain