Ozone Therapy

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Ozone Therapy

Postby Jose » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:23 pm

Hello everyone,
I had 2 herniated disc and one bulging disc about five years ago. I didn't want surgery and hadn't heard about Deans' book. Anyways I found ozone therapy. It is performed in everywhere except in the US. So I left from Texas to Canada and got treatment. It really helped eliminate the pain and numbess after the first week and a half. I was fine for the past 5 years. Recently I herniated a third disc (L5-S1) which was the one that used to be bulging out.

I am trying to get the ozone therapy again in conjuction with Dean's book. Has any one heard of the treatment here in the US. What they do is inject ozone near your lumbar. Not very painful but I felt it help me alot. If I had just strengthen my back and flexed my tendons after the treatment. I don't want to go all the way to Canada again.

If anyone knows of that treatment in the US please point me the way. Also does the DRX decompression machine really work? I have that as option here were I live.

Thanks,
Jose
Jose

Postby randolph » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:39 am

The wikipedia entry on "ozone therapy" says doctors in 16 US states are allowed to use ozone therapy on patients here. Maybe you live in one of them, or close by?

Regarding the DRX decompression therapy ... IDD therapy works for some, not for others. Seems about 50-50 for folks who have experience with it here. But doctors who do it claim better results (80% effective). My GP thought enough of it to recommend it as a treatment option for me during my first months of my sciatica adventure (didn't do it). Just do a 'Search' for IDD or decompression therapy, so you can read what others have said about it here.

Also, you might want to check out the possibility that some of your pain could be TMS related. The overwhelming majority of medical doctors working on back disorders search exclusively for physcial abnormalities as a cause for the pain ... but there's a good chance that such pain may have a psychosomatic component, and unfortunately, most doctors won't consider that possibility in your diagnosis ... even though clinical research shows over and over that an MRI revealed disc abnormality is not necessarily the cause of the pain.

Randolph
randolph

Ozone Therapy

Postby Jose » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:09 am

Randolph,
Thanks for the response. Your right that there many places that do ozone therapy,but they inject it through your veins with some saline solution. The treatment I had was with ozone gas (O3). But I think I found a doctor who does the treatment here in Texas.
Also forgive me but I am not familiar with all the acronyms you used. Perhaps you are correct that I have some psycological trauma. I think since the past five years I slowly tried to lead a normal life. I started running and I lost weight, but my mistake was not stretching properly. Even though I have 3 herniated disc I am trying to think positive and that my pain will subside so I can start rebuilding my back.

Thanks,
Jose
Jose

Postby randolph » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:09 pm

Sorry about the acronyms, Jose.

IDD - intravertebral disc decompression - the name of the therapy that the DRX machine is used for
TMS - tension myositis syndrome -

For your information, you don't have to have any unusual traumas to develop the psychosomatic pain that is TMS. Just living in today's culture gives us all the stress needed to develop psychosomatic pain in some people. So considering the possibility of having TMS doesn't imply that you are somehow abnormal. However, folks who have experienced extreme abuses (sexual, emotional, physical) are more likely to experience TMS type pain ... at least statistical research seems to indicate this.

Herniated discs get a lot of bad press ... but it may not be deserved. Be sure to read Dean's articles on them. Having one or several is not a life sentence of physical disability, or an indication of need for surgery. You should be able to run again.

Glad to hear you've found someone who can help you with that 03 therapy.

Randolph
randolph

Return to Lower Back Pain