Bike Riding and Back Pain

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Bike Riding and Back Pain

Postby krd » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:40 am

Hey, does anybody out there know if bike riding is good or bad for the back. If so, please let me know. Thanks :P
krd

Postby John » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:59 pm

Hi krd,

Bike riding is good exercise, but most bikes force you to into very bad posture. Can't be good for someone with back problems.

Just my opinion,
John
John

Re: Bike Riding and Back Pain

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:21 pm

krd wrote:Hey, does anybody out there know if bike riding is good or bad for the back. If so, please let me know. Thanks :P

Riding my bike is the only exercise I can do comfortably (no bouncing to jar the back as with jogging). In fact, I feel best right after riding.

Thanks

Postby krd » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:54 am

Thanks for your input. I am thinking about buying a "hybrid" bike which has shocks in the seat and the front forks. I have tried this bike and it is the most comfortable bike I have ever been on. Here is to a better back... 8)
krd

Postby PeteD » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:37 pm

Be careful!!!

Cycling can be tuff on your back! when yuo rest your hands on the handle bars if yuo dont hold yuorself right you tendto let your back 'sag' and this can hurt!

This is just a thought make wit it what you will!!!! :)

Take good care

PeteD
PeteD

Postby longtallsally » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:52 pm

Can I put a twist on this?

I am an avid motorcyclist with a sport bike. I am wondering what I should do to make sure I am OK on it. I have been mountain biking for over 10 years and never once had a back issue with it. As a buddy told me once when I wanted to put higher rearsets (pegs) on it, he said it was already like origami to get me folded on to my bike, so maybe I should do something different.
longtallsally

Re: Bike Riding and Back Pain

Postby SeafordMdf » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:41 am

krd wrote:Hey, does anybody out there know if bike riding is good or bad

Hi KRD ,

I asked the same question of my Physio about 12 months ago , He replied give it a go , BUT be carefull !

I've had a few short rides ( 1 -> 2 Miles ) and had no problems , But my Mountain bike is a well balanced unit with good front and rear Shock Absorbers to absorb some of the jarring / shocks to your back/spine .

What I have found to be very good is plain old walking , Yep just at a slow and steady pace , works nicely .

Did a 7+ Mile walk with a friend awhile ago and felt 100% !

The problem I have ( And maybe other people also ? ) is that walking by yourself is just so plain boring and lonely !

If you dont mind walking alone or you can get a friend or 2 to come along , give it a try , I really found it works pretty well !
SeafordMdf

Return to Lower Back Pain