Could it be?

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Could it be?

Postby Woodchuck » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:01 pm

I bought Dean's RYB book yesterday, did the basic exercises last night and this morning and my sciatica, which has been plaguing me for weeks, is all but gone! I work a console Security job which requires a lot of sitting, but today after 6 hrs of mostly sitting (walking a little and doing the "standing back bend" periodically) I have hardly any discomfort. Yesterday I was squirming a lot after 6 hrs. I sure hope this change is due to the exercises......very encouraging and motivating if that is the case!

Ken
Woodchuck

Postby randolph » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:47 am

Good start, Ken! Keep up the good work.

Besides doing the standing back bend, is there any way you can do the cobra? I personally find the cobra more effective than the standing back bend ... but that could just be me. At work, I keep an exercise mat rolled up, near me; whip it out at break time.

Randolph
randolph

Postby Admin » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:44 pm

Hi Ken,

Some people respond quickly to the exercises and some aren't so lucky.

The thing to keep in mind is that the nerve isn't healed yet, even if one of the exercises managed to take the pressure off of it temporarily. Just be thankful for this bit of relief and don't lose site of the bigger goal of rebuilding the support structure ... disks, ligaments, muscles ... so that you can put the back problems behind you for good.

The nerve will typically need about six months to heal... providing you don't have a setback. Be patient and don't become overconfident. Give the nerve the chance to heal (while you do the "wimpy" rebuilding exercises) and in about six months you can gradually start getting back to the more aggressive activities you may be tempted to try now.

Dean
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Woodchuck » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:09 pm

randolph wrote:Besides doing the standing back bend, is there any way you can do the cobra?
Randolph

Would be tricky to do it at work unfortunately. No place out of the public's sight at work ;)

Thanks for the feedback Randolph!

Ken
Woodchuck

Postby Woodchuck » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:17 pm

Admin wrote:Be patient and don't become overconfident.
Dean

Hi Dean!

Yes, I will have to be careful about that. Pain gets my attention and when the pain goes away, I find it tempting to abandon what helped me. Have gone through this sciatica cycle a couple times before. However, I also have to stay aware that I'm getting older (57) and can't expect to bounce back as I did in my 20s :)

Ken
Woodchuck

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain