foot pain

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

foot pain

Postby toyman » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:15 am

Hello, has anyone ever experience pain in the flats of your feet while laying down, feels like a charly horse very painful,, what to do ?
toyman

Postby randolph » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:21 am

Hello toyman

Where specifically is the pain? Is it always a muscle pain? How frequent, and what is duration of each occurence? Does it just happen in the evening when you go to bed, or anytime you lie down? Is it just one of several (many?) other sciatica symptoms? Have you a history of foot related problems? How much activity do your legs get (where would you rate yourself on the couch potato to marathon runner scale)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure that the sciatica related pain I experienced on the bottom of my feet is similar to yours ... and if it is, then maybe, what I did for it will be of some positive value for you.

Thanks, Randolph
randolph

Postby toyman » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:09 pm

Hello Randolph, the pain in my feet is mostly in the curve of the foot, and yes this happens most of the time I lay down, it sort of go,s away to a tingle when I move my feet toes pulled up and back, and I'm not a couch patato, I try to move around as much as possible.. and I dont mind these questions with questions you get answers.

I do have bad back prob,s
L3,4,5 are 4 to 6 mm into the spinal cord,, xrays and dxa,s ahve proved this.

thanks, toyman
toyman

Postby randolph » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:07 am

Hello again, toyman

Thanks for the specifics; sounds like we're dealing with sciatica here.

Seems like 'charly-horse' pain is a frequent symptom in the mix of pains we call sciatica (one of the many varieties of referred pain due to the irritation of the sciatic nerve by bulging/herniated lower back discs). I had them particularly bad in the calf, not so often where you experience them (but when they came there, they were worse). Thankfully, moving the joints like you are doing to stretch the abnormally contracting muscle, and muscles around it, always provided fairly immediate relief (though during the attack, the pain certainly does take top spot on the A-list). Hot baths and massage of the affect muscles were also helpful.

I'm convinced that the lessening in frequency of this particularly weird pain, that I've seen over the past year, is due to the stretches and strengthening exercises I do most days, and religiously maintaining a "nuetral" spine during the day's activities. This long-range treatment doesn't do anything for an episode you're experiencing in the present, but does seem to decrease their frequency in the future for me.

I'm particularly fond of deep-knee bends and single-leg lunges for upper leg strengthening, calf raises for lower leg conditioning, and stretches thru-out the day for all the major groups of leg muscles.

Hope this helps some, Randolph
randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain