Lifting weights?

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

Lifting weights?

Postby jbouton » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:09 pm

Should I continue lifting weights or just do the stretches? I have a herniated disk of the lower back.
jbouton

Postby Steven » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:42 pm

Hi jbouton,

I notice that no one answered your question, probably because it is clearly answered in the book. But since I hate to see anyone's question go ignored I'll jump in and remind you of what you may have overlooked.

Stop all sports or other strenous activity - and this would include lifting weights - until your back is fully recovered.

At this stage rebuilding your injured back should be your number one priority.

Make sense?

Keep us posted on your progress,
Steven
Steven

Postby randolph » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:46 pm

Hey jbouton

I want to second Steven's advice. It may be hard for you to let dust settle on your weights (you'll swear you will see all your hard-earned muscle mass evaporating before your eyes :( ) ... but it's best to drop the weightlifting and other strenuous activity until your back is rebuilt. I learned the hard way: I started doing too much too early and set my recovery back several months ... and got to hurt a lot for a lot longer than was really necessary :cry: .

It may seem a very wimpy workout, just doing the basic exercises for the first month or two ... but most likely, with a herniated disc, you have to start very slow, and very gradually add the advanced exercises (and some of your favorites not described in Dean's books) over several months. Herniated discs (and the associated damaged nerves) heal very, very slowly.

When it's time to add more advanced exercises, but you're still not recovered enough to resume using your weights, I can recommend trying the floor exercises recommended by Dr. Stuart McGill to minimize loss of muscle strength.

Randolph
randolph

Dont Worry

Postby Dabonza » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:20 am

Ever heard of muscle memory?

According to a lot of people, it is much easier to put muscle back on that it was the first time. Your body will remember. So dont think all your efforts have gone to waste. When you are fully healed, you will put it all back on easier.
Dabonza

Return to Lower Back Pain