questions for anyone

Discussions relating to Lower Back Pain.

questions for anyone

Postby jayjoseph » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:32 pm

Hi,
First of all I would like to say that the book Rebuild Your Back is excellent. The website and articles are also very helpful. I would like to ask some general questions because I have been frustrated by this process. I experienced a slip and fall about one year ago. At first I had back spasms and took some alleve. I also began sleeping on the floor and in one week the pain subsided. Unfortunately, I did not do any rehab. I then noticed how stiff my back was becoming after playing basketball. I again suffered some spasms and went to physical therapy and a chiro. Pain subsided but in another month the stiffness and tightness came back. To make a long story short. I ahve been having a nagging tightness and stiffness in my lower and upper middle back. When I would do yoga or go jogging or do calistheics the stiffness and spasms would return. Finally, I chilled out for awhile and then one day on my job, BOOM, incredible back apin and spasms again. Now since then I have been to physical therapy, chiros, accupuincturist. After two or three days without treatment I would feel the pain again. The TENS unit did help me. They finally did a MRI which showed a herniated disc L4 and L5 and pinched nerve. That was this past May. Right now I don't do any yoga, calisthetics, or jogging, only walking and that still causes stiffness and tightness. Here are my questions:
1. What is your opinion/experience with NSAIDS and do you use a particular brand? The chiro says the danger of drugs is that it masks the pain and people jump back into their normal activities.
2. The chiro x-rays show that my hip is out of alignment, is that causing some of the muscle strain and sprain?
3. How many days of 2 hour ice/heat sessions before beginning the rebuilding routine?
4. Do massage and TENS help, even if only psychologically or is it a waste of money?
5. The cycle: If I REST, then my body stiffens up and I lose flexibility but if I exercise and stretch then there is pain; how do I get out of the trap?
6. Is resting on your back on a mat with the back straight a bad thing?
Thanks
jayjoseph

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:40 pm

Hi John,

If you have questions about medications you need to address those to a doctor. There's no way any of us can advise whether or not you should take a particular medication.

The other questions you are asking have already been answered either in the books or in articles on this site... or else there are no precise answers.

The books don't deal with medications because that is a medical subject better left up to the professionals.

All I can do is repeat what I've said in the books and numerous other places on this site... when it comes to medical questions, follow your doctor's advice. If you're not sure when to start the rebuilding process ask your doctor about that too.

For more answers see my article: Which Doctor For Back Pain?

Dean
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Lower Back Pain