Just a beginner, need advice

Discussions related to Sciatica and Leg Pain

Just a beginner, need advice

Postby BGreat » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:12 pm

Hi, This is my very first time talking to people I don't know. But, sciatic pain has been dogging me despite I am fairly young and active.

I just DL Dean's Book on Rebuilding Your Back on Tuesday night, three days ago. I was overjoyed learning that the leg pain could be controlled in 3-4 days. Days 1 and 2 when well but today was a more active day at the hospital as I am a health care professional. Lots of moving and bending over patients all day long. Today, day 3, I immediately did the cobra exercises plus the other basic exercises without relief. I am desperate for relief, as it has been six months of irritation and tingling in my L foot.

Please, in need of encouragement and hope. In a week my husband and I will be going on a special out of the country vacation, our first and I want to have a break through before we leave so that the trip will be a great memory for the both of us
BGreat

Postby randolph » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:38 pm

Hello, BGreat, hopes this reaches you before the vacation.

Seems like you health care providers get more than your fair share of lower back problems. Do ya'll do a lot of flexing the back forward while lifting and twisting? Might help before you make such high stress moves on the back to make sure you are warmed up and stretched.

If your sciatica symptoms are caused by a sciatic nerve irritated by a bulging or herniated disc ... it may take more than a few days to get the relief you are looking for. That's the bad news. But the good news is, is that if you can reduce the irritation on that nerve, so it can heal, by doing the exercises and stretches and greatly reducing the stresses on your lower back while you work, the relief will come. That's the big challenge: greatly reducing the stresses on your lower back ... and still do your job.

At any rate, sounds like going on a vacation is just what you need ... assuming that you will be persuing activities quite a bit less stressful on your back (lots of horizontal time??).

Randolph
randolph

Thank you Randolph,

Postby BGreat » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:23 pm

[ I rec'd your message after our trip.

It was a great trip but busy on a tour group. No horizontal time unfortunately. Mostly, I had bad days.

I do over do my exercises and do more irritating the nerve than not.
Finally, I have been doing only the Cobra for a week now and it seems to be able to stop the tingling sensation for a couple hours today. Maybe I am finally having a breakthru.

You were right about overdoing it.
Recently, I was able to downshift from a 5 day work week to a 3 day work week at the hospital and it was about the same time that the sciatic started to ease up a bit. I thought it was because of the exercises but now realize it was stress reliever.

When I have a bad day to read the messages and get the encouragement is great. Thank you soo much.

will send more info later.

quote="randolph"]Hello, BGreat, hopes this reaches you before the vacation.

Seems like you health care providers get more than your fair share of lower back problems. Do ya'll do a lot of flexing the back forward while lifting and twisting? Might help before you make such high stress moves on the back to make sure you are warmed up and stretched.

If your sciatica symptoms are caused by a sciatic nerve irritated by a bulging or herniated disc ... it may take more than a few days to get the relief you are looking for. That's the bad news. But the good news is, is that if you can reduce the irritation on that nerve, so it can heal, by doing the exercises and stretches and greatly reducing the stresses on your lower back while you work, the relief will come. That's the big challenge: greatly reducing the stresses on your lower back ... and still do your job.

At any rate, sounds like going on a vacation is just what you need ... assuming that you will be persuing activities quite a bit less stressful on your back (lots of horizontal time??).

Randolph[/quote]
BGreat

Postby BGreat » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:23 pm

P.S. Also, I needed advice on a good matress. Are there kinds of matresses that work/help with sciatic pain? Any suggestions on types to avoid? Thanks for your time and effort to respond. BGreat

quote="randolph"]Hello, BGreat, hopes this reaches you before the vacation.

Randolph[/quote]
BGreat

Postby RC147 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:08 pm

Hey BGreat,
I'm new to this site and noticed your post.
I just bought a Seally Posturepedic since my mattress is over 20 years old. Everyone says get a mattress that is firm. I tried the tempur-pedic in the store and it felt to soft for me. Well my new mattress is great but the sciatic pain remains especially in the morning. It's been 6 months now plus I had to cancel my vacation last August.
I have started decompression therapy at the chiropractors office. He said it will take time for my disc to heal. I will soon start the exercises from Deans RYB ebook.
I wish you good luck.
Rick

11/29/2006
RC147

Postby randolph » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:07 pm

hello BGreat

A friend swears by the Tempur-pedic. He woke up for years stiff and in sciatica-like pain most mornings, and has tried several mattresses (I got one of the failures, cheap, but mattress feels good to me). He bought a Tempur-pedic a few months ago and from day 1 he's been singing its praises. Claims he's getting the best sleep ever and wakes up ready to go.

I find that I need a mattress firm enough to be able to lie on my side and be horizonatally straight; saggin' in the middle (a problem I have with some water beds) makes for me waking up in pain.

Glad to hear your employer is helping you out a bit by reducing your work week. Sometimes there's just no substitute for rest.

Randolph
randolph

Return to Sciatica and Leg Pain